SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maison2017

Getting ice dams after polyurethane insulation, is it normal?

Mike
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all,

We're into a major renovation of a split level raised bungalow. We had the upper floor and roof sprayed with closed-cell polyurethane (people call it spray foam = SPF)

The upper-floor walls were sprayed 4 inches = R-24

The roof was sprayed 5.5-6 inches = R-33 to R-36

The lower floor will be done next week.

It's a cathedral ceiling so no attic space, and no ventilation. We're spraying the foam on the roof itself, which should insulate enough to avoid snow melting and ice dam formation. However we still have ice dams. I'll be talking to my contractor Monday when they get back from holidays, but I wanted to get some input here before. By the way the insulation company is a very reputed and knowledgeable one, but could it be bad quality work? It doesn't look like it...

The way I understand insulation, if you get proper roof SPF insulation then you shouldn't have heat escaping, so no snow melting and no ice dams... or are they unavoidable in real life?

Also the exterior of the house is gutted too. The new windows are installed but not yet insulated. The soffites weren't removed and no work outside yet. Only thing that was done is SPF and window installation before the holidays.

One last note, we had freezing rain in the last 2 weeks... I know it's not a commonly listed factor for ice dams, but could it have played a role?

What do you guys think? I'd appreciate any input please. Here are some pictures during installation. Sorry for quality.

Comments (11)