SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_larosa

Observations from my problem with my kumquat that may help others

Thank you guys for all your support dealing with my wilting kumquat. I posted about the repotting, but wanted to follow up with a few observations. I think what was causing the problem was that I did not remove all the old mix from the nursery and then just put 5-1-1 around it. The problems did not become apparent over the summer because I was watering it with the hose very thoroughly. But then the winter set in and, of course, I reduced how much water I was giving the tree to prevent it collecting in the saucer holding the pot. I think what happened (and it happened gradually) is that when I watered over this winter, the water started to not penetrate the root ball with the peat based mix (Pranab - Tropicofcancer - explained this very well). Instead, it flowed over it and into the 5-1-1 which was sopping wet. So I had a rootball with most of the trees roots that was dry, and the surrounding area, very wet. I think it happened gradually, because as a peat-based mix dries out, it slowly becomes more and more water repellant. I witnessed this first-hand yesterday so I'll use it as an example. In my kitchen, I have a few seedlings that I am sprouting. I had one little pot that had nothing in it except mix that I allowed to dry out. Yesterday, I was finally going to put some sprouting limequat seeds in it and I watered it. The water immediately covered the top and ran out the drainage holes. It APPEARED to be perfectly watered. However, as I dug in it, I noticed that the entire container, except for the top layer, was bone dry. None of the water (and I ran it under the faucet) penetrated the interior. I had to take a spoon and dig it up while watering it to make sure it got uniformly moist. Now the other seedlings I have in the same mix do not dry out like that because I water them often and so none of the mix ever dries out like that (and therefore does not become hydrophobic). I suspect that the reason some of us are NOW seeing problems with some of our trees is because as the inner part of the mix has dried out, it has become even harder to get water to penetrate into it. Does that make sense? I noticed last night that the twin to "the Beast" sitting next to him shed three leaves - just like he started to deteriorate. I took a baboo skewer and speared it into the interior part of the mix at least six times, then I watered with a very slow-flow, tiny watering can. It has not shed another leaf so far. I am going to do the same thing tonight and water very slowly. I will repot my other two kumquats in the spring and continue to open up holes like that during the winter to get them through. I hope this helps some of you. It may not be the case with all of your problem trees, but it was certainly the case with mine.

Comments (30)