SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayhomedesign

Please Help With Living Room Colors (Primarily Sofa)

Jay
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My wife and I are purchasing a sofa (Smith Brothers). Considering they are fairly expensive and we expect it to last a long time, we wanted to be sure we really thought through our fabric choice. It will be a 3 piece sofa + chaise (~106" width) so it's pretty large and go directly in front of same sized (~105") bay window.

The thing is... the sofa can't be thought of on its own. We really need to consider the entire room. I was hoping to get some opinions and help.

The primarily thing we are trying to match this sofa to is this rug pattern / color:

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-kaleidoscope-rug/-/A-16230762

It isn't an expensive rug but we really love it. At the very least, we really love the colors. The silver/gold as neutrals, creams and grays. Additionally, we love the color yellow as an accent for our living room as well. While not quite the same as the gold/mustard color in the rug, we really do think it goes well with yellow and that's the accent color we feel is perfect for us. We have some throw blankets and pillows that are yellow and love it.

For paint color we were likely wanted to go with a light sandy color, maybe a bit greige. Maybe even a light butter yellow but not sure. Grey/yellow in tone vs. anything red/pinkish. We want to avoid going grey everywhere but do admit that greys with yellow do look great and help it pop. We just hope to find a warmer neutral that can do the same. We have been leaning towards lighter, airy colors because the house isn't that big (just dark enough to "pop" with the trim... but maybe going darker would be okay? Not sure). We have "Simply White" Benjamin Moore trim that we have in the bedrooms and want to continue through the house.

We currently have off-white/cream carpets but will be going with white pine floors, either not stained or stained in a medium color (on the grey end of spectrum, not honey-colored).

So with the above in mind... what do you guys think would work best? Any examples? It will really help us then decide the exact sofa fabric to choose.

For sofa fabrics I went to the furniture store and went a bit crazy (the pillow in the pictures below is also from Target and uses the exact same colors as the rug):

http://imgur.com/a/XfIn0

I personally am leaning towards the #7 picture that is a greyish/brown and is shown on a chair under a lamp. Here it is from another website:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/briansfurniture/14219941311

The salesperson at our store did mention it would be grey. So, the above picture makes sense but it really does lose all the brown quality. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Grey looks great with yellows and can still pair well with tans and such (the rug/pillow as an example of that).

I tried my best to really find the fabrics we'd like and my wife will come along next time and we will decide together but would love some advice.

As you can see, we know we want a neutral brown or grey sofa. But all the fabrics leave some questions:

1. Brown or grey? (There are some greys that have some brown)

2. Dark or light? (I think we should avoid too late since it might blend/match walls)

3. Herringbone or "regular" fabric? The herringbone fabric, when looked at an angle and in certain lighting can give off the striped look. I'm not sure if that's good for such a large sofa. It does look nice but is this trendy or will we regret it?

And along with all that... the paint color is obviously also very important too. Heck, even how dark we go with white pine floors (stained or not) matters. The one constant would be yellow accent but I suppose any of these neutrals could work?

Any and all help is appreciated. We are very overwhelmed!

Comments (12)

• lauraalarid2002
    7 years ago

You're committing a lot of money in a sofa to match a very inexpensive rug. If you want to do that then go with gray on the sectional. Gray is neutral, and you'll be able to change up the rug later on without a problem.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

As a self-admitted 'fabric-a-holic', who sews a lot, my favorite fabric in your options is the one tan on the sofa behind the lamp in this pic. I like it with your rug, too.

It doesn't disappear on the light colored wall at all. I didn't care for your choice when I saw the pic from another site. It looked very different when I could see it on the whole sofa, and a bit 'mannish', striped, and severe. I put it below your rug pic. I also like your pillow with this tan one and feel it is a more neutral choice that would go with many colors.

• Related Discussions

Please help with color selection for Living Room and Dining Room

Q

Comments (31)
    I'm really liking the Capitol White. I think it would look really good in the living/dining area. Here is one picture of some sample boards. Not really large enough to show context, but it works with the space. My concern is I think it might not play nice with the color in the kitchen. Truth be told, I'm not in love with the kitchen color but I don't want to repaint. I've uploaded a photo of the sample boards in the kitchen. Last picture of downstairs bedroom. The plan would be whatever color is in the living room/dining area would flow up the stairwell. So I'd like the new color to play nice with bedroom color. I think it does. Finishing the stairwell massive painting project is next, and then I can get the flooring all put in and be done with the downstairs. I also have sampled out a few other whites too, but will save those for later.
    ...See More

Living room layout room help please. Approx. 15x13. Only sofa staying

Q

Comments (5)
    Room painted neutral and I have some large artwork in teals and green and fabric to make pillows in same color family. I thought about putting sofa against wall but wanted to be able to face pretty view outside too
    ...See More

Need help with the sofa color choice in my living room

Q

Comments (9)
    walls should be based on the decoration in your room not the other way around. having said that your room looks creamy white so nothing clashes with that. colorful never makes things darker, darker things do. in addition, you do not try to match your ceiling, builtins floors etc. they are natural, back of the background. you can change them so the do not matter. if you were worried about what goes best with those you would have no colors. do you know which pillows you like? also probably beating a dead horse here, but have you thought of 2 couches? or one and a couple of chairs.
    ...See More

Living room paint color help needed- my navy sofas look black!

Q

Comments (6)
    I love your rug. I had BM Shaker Beige with some navy (but it never did look black) which was very warm. Maybe give that a try?
    ...See More
  • Jay
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for quick replies!

So, it is less about matching that specific rug and more about the colors within it. We like light neutrals (and some dark for contrast just don't want overly dark room) and we like yellow. This rug happens to have both. If/when we replace the rug we simply will look for one that has similar/same color scheme. At least similar neutrals, maybe more bright yellow rather than gold. Not sure.

Regardless, it's just something we know we like. We just need at least one of these variables to be "settled" in order to get somewhere.

In regards to the sofa behind the chair. I actually took a picture with the pillow against that too. Feel free to disregard the pillow since, as mentioned above, the rug doesn't NEED to be used. It's just the one thing we know we like with colors we like so it was easiest thing to bring along and get an idea.

http://imgur.com/a/IaK2k

Ultimately, the sofa is the big purchase to think about now but also trying to get thoughts on the whole picture. Feel free to suggest other rugs, paint colors, and so on. Ultimately, I mentioned it all since I'm just trying to get an idea of living room as a whole. So i think pictures of living rooms and stuff would be helpful. It's one of things I've been looking at. Although beige walls + yellow accents isn't as common as grey + yellow it seems.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    7 years ago

Agree with My3dogs. The "tan" colored sofa is, IMO, much more a classic color that you will still enjoy many years from now and the color is one that can go with many other accent colors. Again, IMO, the gray is an ending fad that you would come to regret paying all that money for and end up hating the "thing."

• hooked123
    7 years ago

I feel like the pillow screams contemporary while the sofa fabrics seem more traditional. I like the sofa fabrics but I don't like them with the pillow. The pillow seems less sophisticated then the fabrics for the sofa, I can't get the link to the rug to pull up. I know the pillow is just to show colors with the sofas, but it's throwing me off. Is the rug as contemporary as the pillow?

• Jay
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You are very right about the pillow. The rug is I guess not very traditional so it might not go perfectly with something more traditionally styled.

This is the rug but it really is much lighter in color and the design comes off less chaotic in person than from the Birdseye view.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com

It is Target Kaleidoscope rug. Ultimately, the rug is only like $150 so it is replaceable. We just like the color scheme it offers. Plus it is actually a fun and interesting design.

We wouldn't use the matching pillows with these sofas though. Probably just our (coincidentally) herringbone cream pillows and solid yellow pillows.

Anyway, my wife mentioned one thing today. She really thinks maybe going darker (really to that medium shade at minimum) is better since we do plan to have children soon and perhaps animals at some point. We want to avoid eating and animals on sofa but no rules are foolproof. So perhaps a darker sofa is better?

I'm then still leaning on that dark grey/brown herringbone chair I suppose. It is one of the nicer feeling fabrics and the salesperson mentioned it wears very well.

If we went with that though I then wonder how the rug would go (it seems to match the dark charcoal browns in rug) and what to do with the wall color and all other design elements.

Man this stuff is tough!

Thank you all so much for help though.

• hooked123
    7 years ago

Jay- I hired an Interior Designer by the hour to do my living room and she asked me a lot of questions like:

What are your favorite colors?

How is the room primarily used?

What is the overall feeling that you want the room to convey?

Are your pets and children hard on things?

Then I showed her a binder I had made of living room pictures that I like and didn't like. While we looked at the pictures together she pointed out that I liked very simple clean lines, light colors and a feeling of serenity. Next she made a plan of how the furniture should be layer out. We went to the store together and she picked the fabrics that I showed her that I liked. She then gave me the dimensions of the side tables that she wanted me to look for at antique stores so that I could save money. I found them and refinished one myself. Then i met with her again and she picked a coffee table and chandelier online and I went and did all the leg work to save money. It cost me around $1000 dollars in total on her. It was so worth it!!! I love the room, it was once a room I hated as the room is not symmetrical, now I love everything about the room. Also, there are fabrics now called Revolution and Krypton- I might be off on the spelling of last one that are stain free. I tested them too, I took spaghetti sauce and soy sauce and put it on the fabric and let it sit and it washed completely off. Many furniture companies now use Revolution fabric so that might be something to consider. I bought a chair in that fabric, and had my dining room chairs recovered in it. Good luck.

• grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

I love the chair that my3dogs showed. I would think of that as more classic. I would also do the floors more toward " honey" and steer clear of the current " gray". Everything will always go with the lighter wood floors.

• hooked123
    7 years ago

Jay- really look at the style of the sofa and determine:

Do you like track arms (arms that swoop down in a clean line more comtempory) or do you like sock arms (arms that have a more traditional ball shape at the end) or maybe English arms (arms where the cushion comes in front and the arm is lower). When you sit in the sofa do you sit with your back in the corner? If so you need a higher arm to support your back. Do you sit with your legs curled up on the sofa if so you need a deeper sofa. Do you sit traditionally with legs down, if so don't go too deep or you will be uncomfortable. Do you like to lay on the sofa with your head on the arm or a pillow, if so then a English arm wouldn't be best as they have lower arms. How many people are going to regularly sit on the sofa? This is important as most people don't want to sit in the cracks of the cushion. Two cushion pillows denote that if a third person sits on it someone will be in the crack of the cushions. Three cushion sofas are usually safer. Sorry I see that your sofa is larger so you don't have to worry about the bottom cushions. Also, have you thought about the traffic pattern in the room? Does the size sofa you are looking at work with the normal traffic flow of the room? Also what kind of spirit do you have? Are you free-spirited or more traditional? Is your house traditional or mid-century or more contemporary? All these things are important as you want your furnishings to really convey who you are and want to be.

• hooked123
    7 years ago

The Interior Designer I worked with really understood me, she grasped that I love simple, elegant and tranquil. She took into account where I am from originally Ca, and really worked around the kind of house I have which is traditional, but that I really like more contemporary and married the two. Furniture is expensive and I am glad that I spent time really figuring out what I wanted, and pieces that worked with the other rooms in the house too, so that there was a cohesive feeling.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

sabbath7 asks all the right questions.

i just wanted to add something that might sound counter-intuitive-but sofa in color, not in neutral will have the most staying power..:) Whatever is the neutral of the moment(or rather, the decade?)-sofa in yellow will look good against it, be it white or gray or beige or black..:)

I'm not implying you should buy a yellow sofa(for example), not at all. But people are often preoccupied with having their furniture neutral because it will always work. presumably..while what will always work will most likely be- a color. Another thing is you can get tired of it more quickly, but that's personal-some will get tired eventually of everything, some won't.

So I'm not saying "change your plans"..your choice is very nice..of course go for brown or gray or greige or cream but because you love it..not because it will hold some timeless magic just by being "a neutral". It will for you, if you truly love it for what it is.

Say, I have an aubergine sofa. It looked amazing against the saturated yellow walls in our old home. Now it looks very nice against ..lets call it bone even though it's not exactly, but I don't know how to call this color, lol. It would also look great in cream room, in gray room, in turquoise room, in pink room, in coral red room, etc, etc. You actually can decide and be quite daring with upholstery..much more daring than with flooring for example, that is kinda more permanent and more..place-specific I'd say.