SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thewilked

Need design help around shower - how to tie in finish

thewilked
7 years ago

Here's the photos - https://postimg.org/gallery/luuwxw2m/

Essentially it's a small bathroom, 7x7 roughly. It's part of my project to finish my attic space and thus the shower backs into a knee wall (sloped ceiling). Note that the pan doesn't extend all the way to the knee wall, and thus we had to frame in slightly behind the pan.

Getting toward the end, and my contractor is asking my opinion on how I want to finish the area next to the shower. Note, there is plumbing behind all of those walls so the geometry is 'set', changing that is not an option.

As you can see from the photos there is an area between the sink/vanity and the tiled shower that will be wallboard. I am tiling the entire shower, ceiling and all, with subway tiles. I am going to do a row of bullnose tiles along the perimeter of the shower at the edge of the shower pan (will eventually have a frameless glass door put in). I am also doing 42" of wainscoting around the bathroom.

The 'knee wall' side of the shower pan is easy, tile ends in a bullnose and the wallboard / wainscoting begins. At the other end is trickier (again, see photos).

Should I continue the wainscoting between the sink and shower, all the way to the tile?

It seems like the tile will be 'recessed' vs both the wainscoting and finished plaster, meaning I won't get a good 'finished edge'. Any advice here?

My contractor doesn't seem to have a clear plan on handling that particular spot so ideally I can bring some ideas to him. Appreciate any and all advice!

Thanks

Comments (5)