SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayhemingway

Kitchenaid slide-in induction range scorched the wall

mayhemingway
7 years ago

I recently bought a Kitchenaid slide-in induction range for a kitchen in the middle of a facelift. The new countertops, backsplash and range hood have not been installed yet. I did roast a chicken at 450* a few days ago though, with the window wide open for ventilation. The following morning I discovered the wall on the left side of the range had been scorched or smoke damaged. No amount of scrubbing with a melamine sponge will remove this mark. A couple of days later I put the oven on to 400* for 10 minutes and then dropped it to 350* for another hour. The wall on the left side specifically becomes very hot to the touch.

I'm planning to install light grey marble countertops and want to run the marble up the wall behind the range as a backsplash, but have heard of marble becoming marred by smoke and heat from ranges as well. I don't want to need to apply a poltice to the marble backsplash every time I make a roast.

Has as anyone experienced this problem? Is it just because it's painted drywall? Is it normal for the wall to become so hot? I'm moving from a house with a Kitchenaid gas range and oven and a ceramic tile backsplash and have never had any issues, at any level of heat or cooking time. What should I do? Rethink my marble backsplash? Call Kitchenaid?

Comments (32)