SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesslake

More info for the layout experts - critique away!

jesslake
7 years ago

Hi again, ok here goes. This is going to be really long I fear. This is a follow up to a previous post about whether or not to put in a prep sink. My question led to a critique of the overall layout, which stung but I am open to rethinking. Here are better images, and more info in response to the comments.

- The new plan is almost identical to the current kitchen as we bought it. We've been in the house for 18 mos and the kitchen layout works very well for us. No major complaints, just tweaks I'd like to make. We did consider a few radically different plans but kept coming back to keeping it basically the same. I feel reassured knowing that it already works so well.

- I am permitted by code to have a cooktop under the window, which does open. Currently there is an 8 burner gas behemoth which passed inspection. Believe it or not, the windows and surrounding woodwork don't get dirty at all! There will be ventilation above the new cooktop, just not sure what it will be yet. Had my heart set on Zephyr Lux but will get another HVAC opinion before deciding. (see this post if you're interested)

- The base cabinets are 26" falling back to 22" at the two ends. The reason for this on the left is that full depth will overlap trim around the doorway, and on the right it's because I currently have full depth cabinets here and I feel like it impedes traffic to the breakfast nook. I'm always hitting my hip on the corner and wishing it was shallower.

- Because I want to keep the passage and view to the breakfast nook as open and airy as possible (it is all windows with a spectacular ocean view), I do not want to put anything full depth and tall in that spot (such as the fridge or wall ovens). Additionally, creating a landing counter at the left by the front door (needed because otherwise mail, etc, ends up on the island which drives me crazy) means I lose my pantry cupboards. So the end by the nook becomes the pantry. I have seen upper cupboards that come down to the counter in friends' houses and really like it. This spot has counter under standard uppers now and we don't use it as prep or cooking landing, rather it just collects crap. So I don't mind losing that counter space to storage.

- Appliances have been agonized over (models are all noted in the attached elevations) and I feel really great about the choices. Reasoning is long and very personal so not something I want to rehash. They're also all paid for so discussion of whether or not I made the right choices is off limits! :) But I will say that I currently have "just" 2 24" european size ovens under the 8 burner range and I have no problem at all. In fact one of them doesn't light easily so I never use it. I feel very confident about not having a ginormous north american oven. We live in a place where we can cook outdoors almost all year and can grill right out the patio door so that's our back up.

- The current island is longer than the one in the new plan but I find the passage way from the front door to the family room is a bit pinched so new island will be a bit shorter.

- I do 90% of my prep and serving on the island, not on the counters. I think this is because I always have kids and guests in the family room or at the table in the nook and I don't like to have my back to them.

- The only thing that I don't like in all this is that my kitchen is in full view from the main entry. (Previous owners had swinging doors between the entry and kitchen, to force traffic into the living room but they were a nuisance to us with 3 little kids. fyi, the wall between the entry and dining room is glass.) It would be interesting to talk about rearranging the whole dining/kitch/family/nook plan but I have absolutely no appetite for undertaking a reno as major as that.

- This is my dream home and I'm never ever leaving so all decisions are for us only, not resale.

- What else? Ask away!

Current floor plan:

(the black boxes on either side of the two-sided family-dining room fireplace are built-in shelves)

Sketch of new plan: (Based on feedback in my prep sink thread, I moved the fridge as far to the left as possible. This leaves approx 46" of counter between the fridge and the sink which seems like plenty to me (give or take, depending on final sink choice, will be a big single). I currently have only 30" here, thanks to a whopping 43" sink and typical 36" fridge.

3D of the most recent plan (before moving the fridge further to the left) Moving the fridge to the left will make the open shelves uneven widths but I *think* i'm ok with this.

Elevations that go with the 3-D:

If you've read this far, thank you for spending your NYE with me. :) If you have time to absorb it and give me your honest opinion, I will be so grateful! I feel very excited and confident about my plan but signing off on this stuff is nerve wracking. Thank you!!

PS Still need thoughts on the prep sink ;)

Comments (14)