SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loonlakelaborcamp

Next year will be a challenge, but I hope to overcome the challenges.

OklaMoni had a bad year in 2016, and I hope her 2017 will be so much better.

I guess I have the luxury to know things will be tough for next year, and I hope to prepare myself for what is coming.

1. I have 2 sisters with terminal cancer -- brain and ovarian. Both are not slated to see the end of 2017, and it will be hard on all family members. Impending death brings out the greed in many relatives, and this had caused some sorrow for my sisters with their kids. I'm trying to get to visit them across country before they are too weak to appreciate a visit. The good news is that I can still fly and see at least one of them prior to #2 below:

2. I will have a serious operation in three weeks, and will be out of work for at least 6 weeks. I will probably be at 1/2 time status for a month or two after that. The good news is that they do not think it is cancer, and I will have definitive results after surgery. Fortunately, I will have some disability pay, but this will reduce the time and funds I need to visit with my dying sisters. We should be able to live on 50% of my wage for a while, and I am so appreciative that I have a husband who can help while I heal up. The insurance deductibles will be high, but at least I have coverage. There go the emergency funds!

3. Just found out we had a water pipe freeze and burst at our lake home last week. This is the first year we did not blow out the pipes because we were keeping it heated. Well, even at 70 degrees inside, the -20 degree temps caused a pipe to freeze in the kitchen/bath area and spilt. (Apparently some insulation got pulled away from the outer wall near the pipes when some plumbing, siding, sheet rocking or electrical work got done.) Of course, no one is taking responsibility, so we are footing the bill to fix it next spring. So in the mean time, we are draining the pipes and shutting things down and tearing out bath ceiling and the new kitchen wall. The good news is that the kitchen cabinets hadn't been put in yet, and the flooring was not laid in yet! It does put us behind schedule again, and now I will not be able to help work on it or paint.

I know this is a bit of a downer posting, but I am just hoping to encourage others to try and prep and prepare for the difficult times that can befall us all. Take care of yourself, and don't put off seeing friends and family. Put aside contingency funds for those emergencies. Make certain you are insured.

I'll be spending the next 3 weeks precooking my meals, setting up the house for physical recovery, and dreaming up a DVD playlist for my "cocoon" at home. At least surgical recovery will be in the wicked winter months here in ND/MN ! Can't wait for summer!

Comments (28)