SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spjin

What will this new bud be on my fiddle leaf fig?

spjin
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I air layered the top of this plant with great success and am happy to see that shortly afterward I have a bud for a new branch on the left. What has me confused is the small bud on the lower right that has appeared. Will this be a new branch or just a leaf?

This also brings me to another question about a large FLF I have. When I brought it home it was so densely packed with leaves, which I assume was from its perfect growing conditions, and over the months it lost many of the small lower ones. The base of the tree with the little branches had once been full of leaves. I'm not too concerned about it being a health issuebecause it's putting out growth above. What I'd like to know is how can I encourage new leaves to fill in a little where the old ones dropped of (as seen in the second photo below)f? Is this where notching comes into play? I don't necessarily want to notch for a branch but wondered if it would encourage a secondary bud to grow near the leaf scar. I hope my questions are making sense.

Any info anyone can pass on about encouraging budding (but not branching) near old leaf scars would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County