SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrroarke

Should i tear out all the drywall in the living room or not??

mrroarke
7 years ago

I am going to remodel my living room in the next few weeks and am on the fence if i should tear out all of the drywall or just take out whats needed to complete the remodel.

A little back story: For some reason the original electrical was pulled straight from the kitchen. We would have issues every time an counter top appliance was run. I redid my kitchen and fixed the electrical but the result was leaving my living room without any working electricity. The living room will have now have 2 new dedicated circuits. One for the lighting/ceiling fan and the other for the wall receptacles and television/home theater type stuff. So all the wiring will have to get redone.

I will be adding about 8 recessed lights, 5 receptacles, a
ceiling fan and mounting a television to one wall. So alot of holes to patch. If i do take out all the drywall i can also upgrade the insulation. Jumping up to R14 from the older R7.

If i just to patching i wont be able to upgrade the insulation. At this point i am thinking that tearing out all the drywall from the walls, while leaving the ceiling, would be the way to go. I will be adding some crown molding in the future as well so i wouldnt necessarily have to work about finishing the drywall where the wall and ceiling meet.

Suggestions or thoughts? It is a first floor living room about 11 ' x 18' if it matters.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH