SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debtex

Kitchen layout - I know you all will tear this apart, have at it!

debtex
5 years ago

Opening up our 50's ranch and strongly considering a gut reno of the kitchen. We already did a lipstick-on-the-pig rework about 6 years ago (new counters/floors/backsplash/refaced cabinets) but now have decided that we are going to be here for another 10-15 years and it's worth doing things right including the kitchen layout.

I'm no kitchen designer but I have lurked here for years. I know you guys know your stuff...

I was thinking that the prep zone is the fridge/sink combination, and the cook zone is the sink/stovetop area. We would do a counter depth fridge.

- top wall is exterior - all new windows out to the back yard and no uppers.

- left side is open to the not-formal dining room. We would reuse a drawer fridge/freezer combo we currently have and use constantly. Might consider an overhang in the DR for stools.

- right side faces a hallway that has a door to the backyard (loads of windows in the hallway) and leads to the master bedroom door (facing the kitchen.) Thinking of doing open shelves along there that open on both sides, blocking the view a bit while allowing the light from the hallway.

- Use the ovens a lot at our house.

- People are constantly walking through the kitchen as a passage to the master and office and the public bathroom.

Comments (19)