is this a squirrel?
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (11)
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
Squirrels...Squirrels...SQUIRRELS!!!
Comments (5)I have squirrel problems too. One thing that has been pretty good for me are white fabric hairnets, also called bouffant caps - the kind they use in clean rooms. I'll use a larger round pot and plant several seeds about 1" apart or whatever in it. I also top off with chicken grit if I think the seedling can compete with it. Then I stick a chop stick in the middle, put the hairnet over it (they are reusable BTW and last from year to year). Then I put a rubber band around that. It doesn't heat up like plastic, it lets the rain in and keeps the seedlings from drying out, keeps them from being crushed by water, keeps them from scorching in full sun. You can also water through them. Open it up once and a while for circulation if it's particularly damp out for a few weeks. The hairnets will stay on without the rubberbands but animals might take them to make their nests. Here is a link for this type of cap, though I am not sure what brand I have. Here is a link that might be useful: Bouffant Caps...See MoreSquirrels eating Bradford Pear blossoms.
Comments (9)Whats the problem with them finding food and eating it Gosh humans and dogs cant eat it because its toxic and is even banned in some states. Gosh just let them eat They probably don’t have anything else to eat. I read they only eat that if its nothing else around for them to eat. How about you buy them some unsalted nuts instead of trying to throw pee on them. Would you like someone to do that to you if you were homeless and trying to find food to survive? Why be a mean evil person when you SEE THEY ARE NOT HUMAN AND CANT GET A JOB SO THEY HAVE TO FIND FOOD EVEN IF ITS IN YOUR YARD. ITS CALLED WILDLIFE AND TRYING TO SURVIVE JUST LIKE YOU. I GUESS YOU’d have to be homeless to understand that You reap what you sow. I bet those squirrels planted many trees and gardens but humans just mow the garden away and chop down the trees which is their food supply and home. I BET THE SQUIRRELS PLANTED THE SEED THAT GREW THAT TREE WAY BEFORE YOU WERE BORN SO HAVE A HEART Your looking at the tree as beauty but they look at it as surving. Please just try to understand. Thank You!...See MoreSquirrel proof feeders (Yankee Flipper vs. Squirrel Buster)
Comments (8)I own a yankee flipper as well and it has lasted many years - probably going on 5 now against the elements which is pretty respectable. It is a bit pricey but when you average it out based on how long it lasts and that it's so well built it is worth it. Here is the link to it on amazon. http://amzn.to/1UdB714 Also, there is a variant that doesn't use batteries called the yankee whipper. Instead of a spinning ring it has spring loaded perches that collapse when squirrels get to them. Probably not quite as entertaining as the flipper but still a good brand and very well built. http://amzn.to/1rvQiIc...See MoreSquirrels Stripping Arborvitae Branches
Comments (42)they're using it to build a nest - as ref'd above I draped a roll or two of tin foil in a spiral around part of the one (of a group) it was snapping branches off of, I did that after I caught it in the act and went out side with a garden hose and confronted it, we had a 'stare off' and I made some noise when letting it know that this wasn't going to continue - it did not come back, I took the foil off a few weeks later. You have to be firm with them else they will strip the arbs until they're done with the nest. I would call out a pest control place if you don't get some quick results else your privacy screen will be an open wall. Alternately - this might sound peculiar - I'd go over to a garden center and buy a decent size arb and cut off the branches and put them on the ground and see if they just go for the easy pickings and leave your large established ones alone -it might cost you 50-70 bucks but it's worth a try if you don't want to call out a pro. You can run a test - take a few branches off one of yours and put them on the ground and see if they pick them up then you'll know if they're lazy enough to take the easy way out if so then you can go purchase one and cut off the branches and distribute them on the ground....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

LIFEHow to Outsmart Backyard Critters
Learn to think like a raccoon, skunk or squirrel to keep your home safe and your garden intact
Full Story
FALL AND THANKSGIVINGGo a Little Nutty With Acorn Decorations for Fall
They're earthy, easy to find and free. Squirrel some acorns away for fall decorating and watch your home's seasonal spirit grow
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGTake Back Your Front Yard: 8 Ways to Make It Social
If only trees and squirrels gather in your front yard, you're missing out on valuable socializing space. Here's how to remedy that
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BUTTERFLIESA Quick-Start Guide to Bird-Watching for Fun and Learning
Set out some seed and grab your field guide. Bird-watching is an easy, entertaining and educational activity for the whole family
Full Story
TRIMShutter Cutouts: A Window to One's Soul?
To settle on the perfect shape for this simple detail, follow your heart — or diamond, or maple leaf
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSHow to Grow Your Own Sweet Summer Crops
This guide will help any gardener get started on growing the freshest warm-season veggies and berries for summer
Full Story
CONTAINER GARDENS7 Deer-Resistant Flowers for Your Summer Containers
Grow these as protection for edibles or just for their colorful beauty — deer might not like them, but everyone else will
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNBeautiful Noise: How to Create a Symphony in Your Garden
Take your surroundings to another level by introducing the element of sound with ground covers, water features and wind catchers
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESBackyard Birds: Northern Cardinals in the Snow, and Other Red Birds
Brilliant crimson feathers make these friends stand out in a crowd
Full Story
CALIFORNIA NATIVE PLANTSGreat Design Plant: Coast Live Oak
The stuff of legends and memories, this California tree is one to build a whole landscape around
Full StoryMore Discussions


Tim