SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_hewitt80

Late 80's home: interior paint color and design help sought

Cheryl Hewitt
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Our house has not had new paint since it was built in '89. After living with off-white walls for the past year I'm ready for some color. And new drapes!

I'd like to start with the dining room because I'm tempted to go very daring with the color. I could be talked out of the color I want, but I saw a similar color in my niece's studio and it was stunning.

I'd like to do something like BM Gentleman's Gray.

Realtor listing photos. None of these furnishings are ours. I need to take updated pictures, but for now these will do.

We adore the light fixture (cuter in person), but it's rather small. I'd like to replace it with this fixture, which we already have (bought for kitchen island, but it's too large.)

Living room. Dining room to the right. We have a dark brown leather sofa and loveseat and one yellow swivel chair.

The wall with the TV is now dominated by a TV and stand, and a media cabinet (which I'd like to relocate.)

Front entry:

Front room (considering BM Sweet Celadon)

Would you paint:

• the dining room such a dark color? If so, what colors would you use in the other rooms? (I'm thinking light colors. We just painted our kitchen "Hint of Vanilla" which is a very pale warm white/vanilla.)
  • the fireplace pillar? (Considering a dark blue or brown shade that would complement the dining room color.)
  • paint the pine trim along the soffit?
  • the wood ceiling? (seems like a hella lot of work, and I'm not sure I can sway the BF)
  • the wall behind the TV a contrasting color?

What would you do to update the fireplace?

Would you nix the mirrors and glass shelves in the front room?

Dining room drapes: thinking of bold pattern to go with bold wall color. Yea or nay?

Comments (30)