SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_naclerio

Exterior help ... stay true to 80s colonial 'design' or get creative

Kimberly N
8 years ago

x-posted from remodeling since I was told my post might get more interest here.

This is my 1980 house. Didn't love the house when we bought it, but we loved the lot/location/price/schools/commute/size. Sometime 6 months - 3 years from now, we want to update a lot of exterior stuff that needs it.

Clean and paint aluminum siding with long lasting paint. (Needs it, color/finish is really faded after 35 years.) Change color.

Replace roof and gutters (needed), windows (cold air just gusts in around some of the aluminum windows and our AC fights the humidity inside all summer long) and trim around windows. As well as some cosmetic changes.

We're planning on being here a long, long time.

I really want to update it to more cottage/bungalow/craftsman/farmhouse look. It is supposedly a colonial but it has such blah proportions, imo. I do like some colonials but they are taller and skinnier and have side garages, not garages dominating the front. As well as better and more impressive porches or at least nice front doors.

I want to take off the shutters and put on nice bright white trim. Black frame windows. Bump out the big one on the first floor and have shake siding on the bumpout around the window. Divided 3 light windows (you know, the ones with 3 divisions up top. We want to be able to see the views.) Put in a couple of corbels under bumpout.

Add 2nd column under little porch and update both to a thicker look on a stone base. Add a trellis above the garage and a big piece of white trim over the doors, then change siding above doors to a shake. Do something with front door to stand out, and pick a color for garage doors to diminish them some. Metal roof. Everyone else has shingles in neighborhood ... would that be odd? (NO hoa though. And we have much more of a setback than anyone else in the neighborhood, it feels different than other houses already).

Use differing but coordinating colors. (Maybe charcoal and a much lighter brown with some stone accents).

Do you think it would be odd to shift the look? Do you think it would look like a colonial playing craftsman dress-up badly? Most colonials aren't middle of the woods/down a hill houses either. I think of them on main streets or suburbs with square lawns. I don't know what the builders were thinking almost 40 years ago.

My exterior ideabooks: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/53737452/thumbs/exterior-renovation

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/9750425/thumbs/exterior-ideas

At one point we were considering a more major porch add on but have decided against it. I know my house will never look the amazing houses in my ideabooks, but maybe a few modernized classic elements could make it look better? Opinions?

Comments (34)