SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_kroeger61

8' or 9' ceiling height, new build

andrew_kroeger61
7 years ago
Hello all,

My fiancé and I are in the process of designing and building our first house.
We are hung up on whether or not we go with 8' or 9' ceiling height. It is a somewhat larger floor plan and house has many south facing windows for natural light. Also the living room which is larger at 14'x17' and on south wall has a tray ceiling which will be 3' taller in height than the rest of the house.
So there alone if we go 8' and 11' tray with big windows facing south do do you guys see any reason why 8 would be a huge turn off? And also in the master and en suite we would go 8', but these are also south facing walls so we will get a ton of natural light still.

I am figuring that we will save upwards of 25k just by going to 8' and 11' raised tray in living room, which is a fair chunk of change to us and worth the discussions.

We both feel comfortable in 8', as she is 5'4" and I am 5'11". We also live in central Canada/Saskatchewan so we are paying to heat often and regularly cook in summer which the extra foot over 1750sq/ft would make a difference.

If you think we are nuts, or you support our decision to go 8' and 11' vs 9' and 12' please let us know either way.

*also it is in a smaller community and older homes, 9' ceilings are not the norm here.

Please see attached photos

Thanks you guys and we look forward to the responses!

Comments (16)