SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tkfinn97

8' vs 9' ceilings on a new build?

tkfinn97
12 years ago

We are planning to build a "new old farmhouse" in the near future, and I am currently stuck on the height of the ceiling. I have only ever lived in houses with 8' ceilings and they have never bothered me. My husband wants 8' ceilings since he can't see the benefit of that extra foot (knowing we'll have to pay a little bit more to heat it). However, reading everyone's posts, it appears that we may be making a horrible mistake, and I cannot stop thinking about it! :) All of my friends suggest we need 9 or 10' ceilings. I need to make a decision before we order materials. I am definitely not concerned about the bedrooms since they are smaller and I want them to feel cozier anyway, but what about the kitchen, living room and dining room? Will the openness of the large area make the ceiling feel even lower? Will my tall windows help? Is there anyone out there who has 8' ceilings and like them?

Here is my main floor plan if that makes a difference...excuse the mess, I've been making notes all over them (each small square = 1 foot, ie, master bedroom - 14x14). Any other critiques of the floor plan are welcome :)

Other notes: Built on slab, no basement, there is an upstairs level, 3 girls under the age of 9, I am 5'5" and DH is 5'10".

Thanks in advance for your input!

{{gwi:1436430}}

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus