SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Follow up on Thanksgiving and salmon threads

l pinkmountain
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I always like it when folks follow up on a forum question with a report on how it went down, "in real life." I haven't been able to keep up with CF very well anymore but I do finally have a minute to follow up on my two previous threads about a Mexican-themed Thanksgiving football spread and what to do with a small piece of salmon, which was a tad too small for two people.

For Thanksgiving I thought I was going to be hosting a football dinner for my dad and SO and I had asked about a snack oriented menu. But dad ended up going out of town for the holiday and it was just SO and I watching the game. I ended up just making chili in the crockpot for the two of us with the leftovers going to dad, and we had just that with some sour cream and corn chips and that was enough lunch for us. We had a pancake breakfast earlier that day so weren't very hungry.

Later that night after the Lions game, we had an elegant salmon dinner, with enough sides to fill us up perfectly. Asparagus was on sale at the store for $2 a pound which is my cutoff price for buying produce, so that was a no-brainer. At that point I abandoned any ideas about pasta or something with a crust and just more or less "braised" the salmon in white wine and then added cream to the juices in the pan to make the sauce. I seared it first in olive oil after dusting it with lemon pepper and Fines Herbs. The meal consisted of home made squash soup from the Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special cookbook topped with parmesean, croutons and panfried gourmet mushrooms, the salmon served over braised spinach, roasted asparagus, wild rice pilaf with mixed vegetables, and coleslaw. SO's pineapple coconut cheesecake for dessert. For some reason, SO was all into taking pictures of this unusually elegant meal we made. Later that weekend we had delicious roast chicken and roasted potatoes and carrots, dressing plus salad and cranberry sauce for dad for another version of Thanksgiving.

Comments (3)