SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Question about Bermuda Sherry Peppers

Alisande
7 years ago

When my in-laws lived in Bermuda years ago, a tall bottle of sherry peppers--hot (spicy) peppers steeped in sherry--sat on the sideboard for every meal. I decided to try to make some to give as gifts this Christmas.

I looked up the recipe, which is very simple: Put peppers, cut in half, in a sterilized bottle and fill it with dry sherry. Let it sit for several weeks. My mother-in-law's sherry peppers was never refrigerated as far as I know, but I don't know how long I can expect it to keep. The recipe (I looked up several) doesn't say anything about keeping it covered, though I'd want to do that.

This isn't like canning; no cooking/processing is involved. I imagine the 18% alcohol in the sherry preserves the peppers somehow.

The resulting spicy sherry is added to soup and various other dishes. It's a staple of Bermuda cooking. The only peppers I could find were Serrano and Jalapeño.

The good folks at the Kitchen Table sent me over here to inquire about shelf life and safety. Info and advice is appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida