SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrclint_so_cal

What would it take to bring some life to this forum?

MrClint
7 years ago

Just wondering why this forum doesn't have more action and promote organic gardening in a way that draws people in. I don't check in very often and when I do there isn't much activity. Thoughts?

Comments (60)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Yes, it tends to be the regular participants and their frequent contributions that bring whatever life there is to ANY of these forums!!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

There are some very wise and thoughtful responses in this thread.

• Related Discussions

Let's bring the exchange forum back to life.

Q

Comments (33)
    Allymarie, I want to get back to you. If it would be ok with you, I would like to wait until the fall for two reasons. First, that new hot water heater drained my gardening budget. :( Second, we are really moving into a bad time of year to ship tender plants in Florida. I think a bromeliad would make it just fine but begonias, on the other hand, I would worry about. Even with 2-Day Priority Mail, I am hesitant to ship rooted plants or cuttings. I'm afraid they will arrive "a hot mess". Can I contact you in September or October? Don't save anything for me... we'll just see if I have anything that would interest you then. Thanks! Carol
    ...See More

What is this and how can I bring it back to life?

Q

Comments (1)
    Looks like Corn Plant. I believe you can break off the plants from the bark and root them in either water or peat moss with some root hormone powder. Or just keep watering your plant -- not to where it's soggy, though -- and it will probbaly survive. If you do decide to cut off the shoot(s), keep the bark watered also because it very may well have new growth once you remove the "old" growth from it. Hope this helped. :) Alicia
    ...See More

Trying to bring my yard back to life

Q

Comments (23)
    Bermuda will quickly give you a spotty look if mowed wrong or with a dull blade, so keep that in mind. My method isn't very special or scientific, but it makes for a consistent color at any time. Bermuda can take a lot of abuse & won't burn up in the sun, so have fun with it--you can't kill it with anything but shade. You will have mountains of clippings, so work on your soil biology to help break it all down. If it starts getting scraggly & tall looking, check that thatch layer & dont let it build up.
    ...See More

Take some soil when bringing plants in for the winter?

Q

Comments (8)
    Rick - when it comes to growing anything in conventional containers (in container media/soil), the largest step forward you'll take at any given time is gaining an understanding of how water behaves in container soils and what affect that has on your ability to provide conditions that help your plants realize as much of their genetic potential as possible. Your plants already have the genetic capability to become perfect, productive specimens. Our job is to identify what factors are limiting our plants and reduce the limitations to the state of least impactful as possible. Since the soil is the foundation of every conventional container planting, and roots are the heart of the plant, it pays big dividends when you learn enough about soils to allow you to keep the root system happy and functioning efficiently, with the inability to do so being by far the stumbling block that brings more folks to the forum seeking remediation than any other. The link Tiffany left is a good overview that will help you avoid all the most common pitfalls. This link About Container Soils goes into depth and explains how soils function for plants in pots. Al
    ...See More
  • kimmq
    7 years ago

It may well be that the use of derogatory terms, such as "organo-Nazis" and worse may be off putting to many. Respectful disagreement can be done without using derogatory terms.

kimmq is kimmsr

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    7 years ago

kimmq, You are right about derogatory terms. However, this site has tended to be somewhat "our way or the highway". When some like Henry have posted, it has been kind of contentious. Perhaps that is ok. Still, I feel I can contribute without being 'totally' organic. Otherwise it is a closed club.

Also, most things have been already discussed before and without newcomers, there may not be much left to say daily.

May all be blessed and grow in the knowledge and faith of Christ through the coming year.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'd like to think that you, kimmsr, can be more helpful, respectful, and less narrowly didactic in your posts....especially to the newbies.

We should be welcoming and open to discussions and questions.

• gjcore
    7 years ago

I also think that the popup from Houzz, if one is not logged in, is very annoying. Ok to have a popup but that popup is like playing whack-a-mole.

• glib
    7 years ago

Clint, I come here rarely. The Organic paradigm is incomplete, half-baked, and obsolete. Bio-dynamic systems is where it's at these days. Much more complex, but much more promising and much closer to nature.

• gjcore
    7 years ago

A good amount of the bio dynamic principles makes sense to me until it comes to burying the cow's horn filled with quartz.

• User
    7 years ago

gjcore ... I thought it was a bull's horn full of manure that has been exposed to the moonlight. And the usual prancing widdershins sky-clad stuff. Tupping in the fields is a dying art, unfortunately, because no one has the time.

• kimmq
    7 years ago

the above two comments are jus the kind needed to spike interest in this forum.

kimmq is kimmsr

• User
    7 years ago

Believe me ... tupping in the fields would get a lot of interest.

• glib
    7 years ago

I meant the real biodynamic effects, as described in numerous papers in the last 15 years or so. you know, like plants exchanging nutrients, simulation of natural ecosystems, that kind of stuff.

• User
    7 years ago

gligb - You'll have to come up with a new name for it, because for decades (not just the past few years) "biodynamic" is the name for the cow-horns buried under a full moon, sprinkling homeopathic quantities of various concoction over the fields, and other total nonsense.

• glib
    7 years ago

bummer. suggestions are welcome. modern soil science? biology-based fertility? don't waste all that carbon and nitrogen composting?

• kimmq
    7 years ago

Biodynamic gardening/farming has been around since Rudolf Steiner first proposed the ideas in the 1920's Biodynamic gardening/farming is much more involved than simply filling a horn from a bovine with manure and burying it.

kimmq is kimmsr

• bcomplx
    7 years ago

I was run out of this forum years ago by rigid thinkers.

• sclerid
    7 years ago

Biodynamic gardening/farming is much more involved than simply filling a horn from a bovine with manure and burying it.

Biodymanic gardening/farming is nothing more than a load of bovine manure.

Based on magic, mysticism, and tapping into cosmic energies, there is no evidence to show it provides any benefit to agriculture. Steiner was a quack with zero background in farming or agriculture.

• sclerid
    7 years ago

I meant the real biodynamic effects, as described in numerous papers in the last 15 years or so.

Please, share these numerous papers with us.

• glib
    7 years ago

You will have to do it yourself, Sclerid. Start by becoming familiar with the ATTRA, SARE, and USDANRCS website. If you want a more practical approach, youtube is your friend. Just looking at one page you can get at about 500 papers on cover crops by clicking on links (luckily, this page also introduces you to the whole field of cover crops)

http://www.sare.org/Learning-Center/Books/Managing-Cover-Crops-Profitably-3rd-Edition/Text-Version/How-to-Use-This-Book

You could also google some terms such as

nutrient exchanges between plants (search with and without mycorrhizae)

nutrient cycling by cover crops

biodynamic effects of pasturing animals on soil fertility

no-till and fertility

if you need more ideas let me know.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

If biodynamics didn't have so much woo-woo mysticism associated with it, it would be taken a lot more seriously. There is definitely some substance to it but also a great deal of hocus-pocus, as referred to above. All of the topics listed in the previous post are also addressed by just the common concept of organic gardening or better yet, sustainable gardening.

"No difference in beneficial outcomes has been scientifically established between certified biodynamic agricultural techniques and similar organic and integrated farming practices. Biodynamic agriculture is a pseudoscience because of a lack of strong evidence for its efficacy and its roots in magical thinking."

• bcomplx
    7 years ago

Near me are the Josephine Porter Institute, Spikenard Bee Sanctuary, and the Blue Ridge Center for Chinese Medicine -- all biodynamic and run by serious, sincere people. I don't claim to understand it, though I compost lots of nettles.

But here's the story. There's a grass pasture in a local eco community that has been treated with biodynamic preparations for years. Some friends have three dairy cows that go straight to that pasture when they get the chance. Go figure.

• glib
    7 years ago

although I appreciate that "biodynamic" is associated with practices which did not have a firm theoretical grounding, the original meaning of the world is about dynamic processes in soil driven by biological agents. It should still be used as such. Soil science has grown a lot in the last 20 years and that growth has resulted in an understanding of soil dynamics as being dominated by biological agents.

I also read european gardening forums where the world "biodynamic" is used frequently, often associated with Fukuoka practices, which have now been largely validated, although Fukuoka was, like Holzer, just a farmer.

• sclerid
    7 years ago

You will have to do it yourself, Sclerid.

You seem confused as to who has the burden of proof when a claim is being made.

• glib
    7 years ago

you just checkmated me, pal. there is no proof whatsoever in those pages.

• bcomplx
    7 years ago

Name calling has no place here.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Unless I am missing something, no one here is calling anybody "names". This is just a spirited difference of opinion. Which IMO is one of the best features of any of these forums - it gets folks thinking and opens up other points of view. And having to defend your opinion against opposing points of view is an excellent way of gaining a further understanding of it, at least for normally intelligent, rational human beings, which all here appear to be :-) On other forums........maybe not so much!

• sclerid
    7 years ago

This is just a spirited difference of opinion. Which IMO is one of the best features of any of these forums - it gets folks thinking and opens up other points of view.
    And having to defend your opinion against opposing points of view is an excellent way of gaining a further understanding of it

Absolutely. Civil discourse is an excellent way to challenge beliefs and develop a better understanding, but opinions themselves don't matter much when discussing topics that can easily be substantiated. There's really no sense in arguing an opinion, as opinions are matters of personal preferences and therefore cannot be 'wrong'.

When very specific claims are made, they can either be supported with empirical evidence or dismissed as empty chatter.

• glib
    7 years ago

and to think, sclerid, that I spent 15 mins typing a reply looking for websites. live and learn. One studies these things but then things get lost over time. nevertheless, to satisfy your curiosity you only need to start clicking. It is not an easy subject, and it takes time, and it still developing, but probably close to 50% of the original papers are available on the internet without paying for access.

• sclerid
    7 years ago

glib: I've read and heard enough about biodynamics to understand that it's complete pseudoscience. My post on January 23rd should have made that pretty clear to you.

If you have some treasure trove of knowledge that shows otherwise, as you've claimed to, please share. Telling me to "do my research" simply diminishes your argument while the continued use of sarcasm diminishes your credibility.

• glib
    7 years ago

call it modern soil science, then. Regardless, the original query by Clint is answered by the fact that the conceptual pillars of the organic movement have been overtaken by a better picture of the way soils work. The forum is dead because it is passe'.

• sclerid
    7 years ago

call it modern soil science, then.

Absolutely not. Even by their own definition, biodynamics is not scientific at all. Science eschews superstition.

"What Is Biodynamics?

Biodynamic principles and practices are based on the spiritual insights and practical suggestions of Dr. Rudolf Steiner..."

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    7 years ago

I read articles about better health. I read articles about better spiritual health. I read articles about soil health. I don't think this forum is to have a scientific peer reviewed journal requirement.

• glib
    7 years ago

point conceded, sclerid. the word biodynamics is taken for all times and despite the roots of the compound word, is to mean scientific quackery. to indicate dynamically, biologically driven soil phenomena we will have to come up with a new word.

• sclerid
    7 years ago

Soil ecology?

• glib
    7 years ago

not bad. I suggest replica of natural biological systems for the purpose of maximizing and maintaining land productivity. Organic, IMHO, was at the core a movement to reduce man made toxicity. But core concepts were missing.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    7 years ago

I have been interested in what makes forums wax and wane since I discovered Prodigy, in 1992 I believe. The best survivor I am aware of seems to be SDMB but even they have lost what I estimate to be 6% since perhaps 2013. I attribute that to Facebook, Twitter and their ilk.

ed - I got called away before I finished above, Perhaps few noticed.

There was a time, not too long ago, when I could put almost any gardening keywords into Google and Gardenweb would show up on the first page of ghits. Often GW was the first ghit. I just Googled my dozen most recent searches and none had GW on Googles first page. What happened? Did Google change it's algorithm? Did Houzz make it harder for Google to find Gardenweb? Is there just less here to find and/or better competition?

• User
    7 years ago

A lot of people left after the Houzz
    takeover from many forums. The rollout to the "new" forum look compared
    to the old one was a bit clunky and it turned some regulars off. Houzz
    admins did a great job (imo) of making changes over time to get
    functionality better, but a lot of people that used to use the site a
    lot had already left for other forums, a lot of
    plant/veggie/regional-specific ones. The veggie, pepper, tomato, and
    many regional forums lost a chunk of regulars from my own personal
    observation.

There's some of us that pop in from time to time, but don't
    contribute much anymore. Hell, this is my first post in many months. I
    don't mind helping people or bouncing around ideas, but there's not a
    lot of that anymore, especially on this particular organic gardening forum.

Aside from that, it seems the "home garden" thing isn't taking on as many new users as in the past. I don't want to call it a fad, but there was a stretch of huge interest in gardening (especially food) that seems to have waned the last 2-3 years after a nice run of almost a decade.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    7 years ago

Good to see you posting nc_crn! Your vast gardening knowledge has been missed on GW. Hope you are doing well and can pop in from time to time.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    7 years ago

GardenWeb lost much of its high relevancy ranking on Google with the site re-model. The new group of folks should consider working on Search Engine Optimizations (SEO).

For me it's becoming harder to find people here with actual hands on experience on a given topic, whereas I see a lot of generalized boilerplate answers that can be found just about anywhere, and are downright preachy at times. All gardening is local and much of what I find does not apply to my applications.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

"All gardening is local"

I would amend that to read "much of gardening is local" - just as much of it is governed by biological and horticultural facts that are rooted in science, are beyond dispute and have nothing to do with location :-)

How one approaches "organic gardening" is very personal and rather subjective. The term means different things to different people and there is very little that is right or wrong about the different approaches. Because the concept is so personalized as to philosophy or attitude, there is little point in being dogmatic or arguing the details. And there is far too much of that going on in this forum and that tends to put people off and shy them away. No one wants to be put down or lectured to because of their specific method of organic gardening. That they try and adopt any form of organic gardening is all to the good.

• janes' login
    7 years ago

I think someone must have hinted at this above. Perhaps they stated it outright and I missed it.

''Organic'' is now an industry. It is no longer just an exciting fad. There is no longer the thrill of rebellion; of advocating for the good, in word and practice.

7 years ago

I think Janes may be on to something referring to 'organic' as an industry. Over on Vermicomposting there are threads mentioning OMRI and ''... 2,000 lbs bag of castings...'' Organic is now more than just a cult of hobbyists.

7 years ago

I was poking around in the Wayback machine and it would appear that this forum was established minutes before November 11, 1996 at 22:02.

• dracolabs
    7 years ago

Have not read the entire thread, but am rather tired of the large companies feeding the consumer a product(s) that appears organic but is only in appearance. And they seem to have a monopoly at the moment. Granted there are some better aspects to each player, but the sum seems to be a manipulative bunch. Even this morning, on the TV, Scott's advertising for Bonnie, who also grows for Walmart. Thinking the only organic things in this situation are the peat pots and non gmo seeds. Not sure why there is not an concerted effort to start a competitive market. I really think the consumers would pick the organic/green choice.

• User
    7 years ago

I really think the consumers would pick the organic/green choice.

That has been tested ... consumers, for the most part are price sensitive more than anything.

The amount of shelf space dedicated to the "organic" produce in my local grocery store has declined dramatically ... a national management decision to push organic led to 75% of the fresh produce being "organic" and 2x more expensive than the conventional. It immediately slowed sales down (this is a low income town), which meant that the organic produce turned over slowly and was going bad on the shelf, while they couldn't keep the conventional (grown closer) stuff in stock.

I pointed out to the produce manager that although I could afford to buy the organic stuff, after lengthy shipping and sitting on the shelf it was flabby and slimy and I was buying conventional elsewhere.

Since then, they have reversed the proportions. There is about a 25% organic for the ones who insist and 75% unspecified for the rest of us.

As far as garden plants, Bonnie's stuff has the advantage of being grown for the locals. We get a bazillion kinds of chiles favored locally, and short-season or heat tolerant tomatoes.

• dracolabs
    7 years ago

Thanks for the response LG and I agree. My communication skills are not what the should be, apologies. What I am attempting to convey is I think if people had the choice of buying organically grown anything...vegetables, bedding plants, flowers, etc. GROWN by Bonnie and provided to Walmart via a competitive organic process, they would choose those plants if the cost were the same. I think it just takes experimenting and innovation.....and then serious investment. Right now, I think these entities are very much the good ole boys club that will mash the competition if you upset their cash flow. As I speculated....the only thing organic to their product now is essentially the pot......and that's only a "green" marketing tool in my opinion.....that robs peat bogs.

• janes' login
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

A Science-Based Whole Foods Would Look a Lot Different -- Science of Us - Labels like “organic” and “conventional” are too broad, and too black and white, to really be all that helpful.

• jolj
    6 years ago

To some people Organic Garden means making your own compost to have healthier food supply.

Some it is a life style.

To some it is a religion, not all but some are hard core & pushy when it comes to what they believe to be true.

this last group can some times put other off.

• whypraytellwhy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

what-would-it-take-to-bring-some-life-to-this-forum?

I may not have been here in years, if ever, then one tuesday last november this suddenly became one of the less obnoxious places on the internet. I visit here daily now.