SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyaternick

Planning for a farmhouse - just getting started!

Laura Y
7 years ago

Hello all!

I just found this forum yesterday, and I'm a first-time poster!

I have no experience building a home, and my boyfriend and I have been renting for a few years in the big city. Now we're looking for a quieter country life. My parents have given us a plot of 7 acres on their farm to build a farmhouse, and so I've begun the process of planning for a build!

We're looking for a bungalow, as they are very popular in the area and we think this would help re-sale greatly! Bungalows aren't super popular farmhouse layouts (at least not that I've seen so far), so we have had to broaden our search to other design styles.

I think I've found the perfect layout for us in this design: https://www.houseplans.com/plan/2480-square-feet-4-bedroom-2-bathroom-2-garage-european-cottage-country-39188

What I love about this design is the layout of the master bedroom, the large kitchen, the laundry room (fellow renters - you know how important a good laundry room is, am I right?!), and the fourth bedroom that we can turn into an office. We currently both work from home in digital marketing, although I'm hoping to branch out into special events planning. We're hoping to build a barn in the future to be used for special events.

Anyways, we both love cooking, so a big, well-planned kitchen is a must. In this plan, I'd like to change the desk to more cabinetry, and possibly add more counter space somewhere - any advice on this?

My main questions are the following:

1. What was your first step in planning? Did you find the plan and then meet with the architect?

2. In this plan, is there a way to make it look more "farmhouse"?

3. Is there a way to put the garage along the side of the house so it does not dominate the focus of the house?

4. In the back, where could we put a screened porch so that it would not affect the natural light in the great room? I love the idea of having a wall of windows in the back, but we really, really want a screened porch.

Any other advice would be welcomed!

Thank you in advance!

Laura

Comments (12)