SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

Your Wisdom Needed - re anxiety

Cherryfizz
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

As you know I am caring for my sister who has Stage 4 Lung Cancer and in palliative care in my home. When the Hospice Doctor was here he prescribed her Ativan every 8 hours. My sister is so "antsy" since she started taking the pill, she can't sit still. She wants help to lie down and then as soon as I turn my back she is sitting up on the side of the bed. This goes on all day. She said she doesn't know why she is feeling this way, almost like the worse case of restless leg syndrome you can think of. I am exhausted. I have never experienced anxiety so I can't imagine what she is feeling. She won't take my advice when I try to advise her in the safe way to do things. She walks to the bathroom taking her oxygen cord along with her, most of the time wrapped around her feet. She can breath without if but won't listen to me when I tell her it is best i f she removes the oxygen before she goes into the bathroom so she won't trip on the cord. She gets to the bathroom door and walks backwards with the walker into the bathroom which is so dangerous because if she fell backwards there would be no avoiding hitting her head on the toilet or bathtub and when she falls she falls hard. I try to show her how to walk forwards to get to the toilet. Today I was on the phone talking to someone when she went into the bathroom. Then I heard a whack. She fell going into the bathroom and whacked her head on the floor, blood everywhere. Instead of waiting to pull her pants down when she got in there she started tugging them down in the hall and lost her balance. And she is always in a rush to get out of the bathroom that she could lose her balance. This is her 3rd fall since she has been here. I had to call my brother last Wednesday to help get her up off the floor and the other day she got up to go into the kitchen and tripped on her cord but since she was near the bed I was able to help her get up. She is 5'10 and over 160. Today I had to call an ambulance because she hit her head . The EMT's assessed her and said she didn't need to go to the hospital. They said I can call them anytime if she falls or needs help getting up or to check her vitals if I think something is wrong.

I was talking to my friend at the bank today and she said when her husband who also had cancer started taking Ativan she said it caused the same "antsy" feeling in him so she took him off of it. A social worker is coming to the house next week to talk to Marjorie to see if something is bothering her, which I am sure there is because we moved her out of her apartment and she has lost control over giving herself her meds. The one good thing for her is she is not living alone which always caused her to feel depressed. She likes my animals and being catered to.

She yells at me to give her pills even though I am giving them to her as prescribed but I am sure she was over medicating herself before, taking pills as she felt she needed them. 2 sleeping pills at night which turned her into a Zombie.

Has anyone here suffered from this type of anxiety and could the Ativan be causing it? The Nurse Practitioner is coming tomorrow to check on the Cellulitis in her legs that she has been getting an IV antibiotic for the last 5 days. We can't get her to the Dr so it is great the Nurse Practitioner comes to the house along with the other nurse and personal aid worker. I am going to have to get CCAC to send in a commode which I really didn't want sitting in my living room. Plus I was a lot younger when I was her caregiver. My sister knows if she goes somewhere like a nursing home or continuing care home she won't get catered to and all her needs met at the times she wants them. I have decided to try this for one month more and if it is too much she will have to go into care somewhere else. Another option is hiring a someone to tend to her at night when I need to get some sleep. She won't have to pay rent starting January so maybe that money can go to pay an hourly care giver.

Comments (46)