SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Cat behavior . . . requesting your wisdom

Alisande
3 years ago

Peachy (orange tabby female) and Pogo (black male) used to be my indoor cats, and Rocky and Scruffy were outdoors during the day and inside at night, separated from Peachy and Pogo. Pogo died last year, and this year I brought Rocky and Scruffy inside full time. It has worked out well, but I have to keep them separated from Peachy.

At first I tried bringing Rocky in for short periods, hoping Peachy would accept him. He was willing, but she wasn't. She got more and more hostile, until I finally moved her upstairs and closed the stairs door. Peachy has always been somewhat of a loner. She and Pogo weren't close; they just tolerated one another. He was devoted to me, but even after he was gone Peachy spent most of her time by herself in the attic. She enjoys the attention I give her, but doesn't seek more. I think she's pretty content by herself much of the time.

An extended family member went into a nursing home recently, and we're looking for homes for her two cats. One is a tuxedo cat, very sweet and loves to be held, but timid until he gets to know you. I don't really need another cat, but I want to help and part of me thinks Peachy might benefit from having a companion. I realize i could be wrong about this though. The tuxedo cat is used to living with another male; I don't how he would react to Peachy.

My allergies have been worse than ever before this year, but I've never reacted to black cats--just tabbies (like Scruffy). I don't know . . . maybe this isn't a smart idea, especially right now when I need to have an exterminator and possibly a contractor come and get rid of the ants I discovered in the attic ceiling--and find out why they're there.

Have any of you presented a loner cat with a companion? Was she grateful? :-)

Comments (17)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm