SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celia_jean

Protect spots of bare wood on interior trim?

Celia Lin
7 years ago

I'm wondering what steps to take to protect the bits of exposed wood on our 1912 interior window trim.

I'm not able to completely strip all the paint (time, energy and 2 year old running around) like I'd ideally like to do.

But some parts of the paint have completely come off. And some bits of the wood are frayed and fragile.

Can I use the Minwax wood hardener, or something else?

My concern is that I will be putting a hardener/sealer over bits of paint as well, is that okay?

Also what primer would I use?

I have read through past posts on Houzz and see a lot of recommendations for an oil based primer on these old wood windows.

Can you tell me if that is the right way to proceed? Any primer brand recommendations?

I don't quite understand how one moves from oil based primer to the regular paint. I have Benjamin Moore regal select paint in semi gloss lined up (is that latex? It doesn't say on the can or website...).

Thanks for all your help and support over the last 9 months. I have learned a ton from you guys and Houzz :)

**** there's a layer of Citra strip clouding the wood here. But you get the point

Comments (8)