SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
upfixer

LG or whirlpool washer dryer

upfixer
7 years ago

I have an older set whirlpool duet that has been great workhorse. It was my parents, new maybe in 2000, maybe earlier (we bought my parent's house). For the last 1-2 years it has had an occasional error code during the rinse / drain cycle. I think the code is H F, and I think the pump wasn't working well to drain. Sometimes it would leak from the door. Sometimes major leak, but usually little enough that it caught in the half sheet pan I put under the washer. We clean the filter, but the problem still happens. My husband would rather buy new if it needs replacement parts, since it is so old. It's been awhile since Ive had a leak, though I get the error code at least twice a month. Sometimes, I notice that my kids small socks are stuck in the gasket, perhaps making draining a problem. But sometimes the error happens when nothing is stuck. I just let the machine rest when there's an error, then come back and say cancel and start and it finishes the cycle. There's also something wrong with the timer because it can stay on the last 4 minutes of the cycle for up to 20 minutes. In general, I feel like it's working now, and I can get more life out of it, but my mom tells me to buy a new set before it fails. I'm buying some kitchen appliances at lowes sale today and now would be a good time to buy. I was looking at the new lg with extra pedestal sidekick washer. Model, WM5000HVA. I don't love that the control panel is in the door, or should that not be a problem? I'm now just wondering if I should get another whirlpool set since ours has served so well.

What do you like/ dislike about your whirlpool or lg? Thanks.

Comments (28)