SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielinthelionsden

Need to choose one more species for planting season

After a long summer & fall of measuring, reading, planning, and asking questions I need to pick one last tree species for this fall/spring planting season.

Here's the planting plan:

North is up.
Black dots are existing/already planted.

Red dots are fast growing trees I'm planning to put in.

The tree is scope here is the Red dot at bottom center. East to West there's almost exactly 70ft between a Silver Maple and a Chestnut Oak and North to South there's about 63ft between a Sugar Maple and a White Pine. I want a fast growing tree here; a neighbor has offer to let me transplant Silver Maple and Catalpa from their woods. So those are the free options. I'm already planning to put in two of the Catalpa so while that might be a good option I don't want to over do it on that, and I've been advised many times on this forum (with good reason) not to add any more Silver Maple.

I was thinking of putting a tulip tree in this spot but I'm thinking such a large tree just won't work well in this spot. If I thought I could fit it and it wouldn't over crowd the other long lived trees, or get over crowed by the Silver Maple I'd just go with that. Sassafras is another option that's come to my mind. Looks like it can be rather fast growing and has really nice fall color.

Anyway, I'm thinking my goals for this tree would be something that doesn't grow too wide, is fast growing, and can tolerate moderate flooding and drought, and grows well in loomy clay. This is an interesting spot in the yard. In spring and fall it's pretty wet. It holds about an inch of water overnight after a good rain, stays squishy for several days after a rain and gets really dry during the dry summer months.

Any thoughts: Tulip, Catalpa, Silver Maple, Sassafras, other?

Comments (21)