SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Handbag requirements

dedtired
7 years ago

I desperately need a new handbag but haven't had much time to shop. I also seem to have a lot of requirements for my bag, beyond "just the right size." For me, a bag has to have an interior zippered pocket, which is where I keep my cash. I need at least two slip pockets, one for my phone and the other for receipts that I want to keep track of. I like the interior to be a lighter color so I can find stuff. It must have only one strap, not two handles and not one of those detachable cross body straps. i have to be able to hang the bag on my shoulder, even over a winter coat. The strap can't be a slippery material so it slides off my shoulder. I prefer a bag that zips shut on the top to foil pickpockets. It can't have someone's name stamped on the outside a la Michael Kors, Kate Spade or Tory Burch. Cole Haan or Bally is okay because it isn't someone's full name. Crazy, I know. It must be leather. I prefer those metal feet in the bottom, but that is negotiable. No wonder I don't have a new bag yet!

How about you? What are your handbag must-haves?

Comments (53)

• bpath
    7 years ago

An outside zippered pocket sized to hold my wallet (I have requirements for the wallet, too!)

Two outside pockets, one for my keys, one for the phone, and room to slip a pen and a Chapstick.

Inside pocket near the top for a little hand lotion, lipstick.

The zip able cavity big enough to hold a few items the size of a Kleenex pack, as well as a water bottle when necessary. My current bag has an extra zip able cavity that I found annoying until I realized that my tablet fits in it.

Light-colored inside. Baggalini has light insides.

Lightweight and cleanable. Baggalini and LeSportSac usually fit that bill.

Hold its shape, so no slouch or hobo bags.

I do rather like my old, old, Dooney and Bourke red leather satchel purse. Two round leather handles, just one cavity and an inside pocket. I wish it had an outside pocket for the keys and phone, but it is so well structured that I just use the inside pocket instead.

So my daily purse is not going to be real handsome or stylish, but it will get me through my life!

dedtired thanked bpath
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh yeah, no flap. Hate whapping myself in the face to open my bag. Funny, but I prefer a bag that is wider at the top than the bottom. If I had a Brighton bag I would have to remove anything to do with a heart.

• Related Discussions

Male VS. Female At The ATM Machine

Q

Comments (4)
    I've seen this before. It was forwarded to a group of us females in an email by one of the most competent woman I know. We thought it was funny. And, honestly, I could certainly see myself and other women I know in that. We could identify. You have to be able to laugh at yourself a bit. However, they abbreviated the male behavior a bit too much. It should be changed after #5. 6. Ring the teller to let him/her and everyone else within earshot know that the account balance is off by $0.03 and it couldn't possibly be your fault. 7. Demand to speak to a manager regarding your $0.03. You're not leaving until this is resolved. 8. After being advised to come in to sort out the issue, throw your car into drive, gun the gas, and squeal away from the drive-thru ATM, yelling angrily the entire time.
    ...See More

Tell me about your handbag - poll

Q

Comments (94)
    Thanks francypants and marlene! Marlene, I bet your LV luggage is just gorgeous, especially with the patina! BB, for some reason I have always been drawn to the "saddle" color of leather. I see it as more neutral and kinda like a little of the "sloppyness" look of it. I have one similar I got from JCrew a couple of years or so ago, but it's suede and at the same time, I got a new SUV with black carpet and it rubbed off on my new purse and I can't get it off! I literally got to carry it one time. I just looks dirty now! This one isn't suede, and now that I know to keep my purses on my seat of car, I shouldn't be a problem.
    ...See More

Handbag afficionados: can you help with ID?

Q

Comments (75)
    You are too funny. Here in our area I have not seen those under 18 carrying VB. It is hugely popular with the college crowd here though. I also have not seen those 65 and up carrying VB. I'll admit I haven't really looked, but it sure hasn't been something I've noticed. I know alot of the moms (which is probably the 25-40ish age group) like VB and have the diaper bags. Her cross body bags are popular here. And in our nearby touristy area, there is a VB outlet. I've also noticed alot of VB (discounted) at a local Steinmart. I bought a friend a VB bag for Christmas - and she is 57, although looks much younger but the VB bag looks good on her. I like some of the black with bright prints because I wear alot of black and brights, but I also wear a good many prints/patterns, so the bags often clash with my clothing. I like the VB laptop bags too.
    ...See More

Leather hole punch

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I haven't found a place that will do hole punches. There is one I can think of that might, but I didn't have a good results when they did a repair to my leather flip flops in the past. Different but.....pass. My friend was into making jewelry for a while and told me she has a leather punch but I'm not sure what type she has. She's also not sure where it's at and was going to do some searching. Lars - The first puncher you linked to was what I was reading up on earlier today. I think I might go with that one if I do need to purchase something. I didn't measure but I'm going to need to add quite a few holes and think I may do better with one that doesn't use a hammer. I could be wrong. I've never used either but it sounds like there's less room for error.
    ...See More
  • hhireno
    7 years ago

One strap, not leather (because I like a lightweight bag), no logos or identifying names, outside zipped pocket for keys, inner cell phone pocket, that sweet spot of big enough but not too big. I like one inner section but I'm current.y using a bag with 2 interior sections and 2 outside zipped sections and I'm coping. I don't care about color of the lining (inner beauty). No excess hardware, it just weighs down the bag unnecessarily.

I do have a nice, small leather bag that meets the rest of the above criteria when I need to take it up a notch from carrying my usual bag.

dedtired thanked hhireno
  • Sueb20
    7 years ago

I don't think I could fit all my requirements in one thread.

dedtired thanked Sueb20
  • bpath
    7 years ago

Hhireno, what I like about a light-colored interior is it's easier to find small items than when the lining is dark. Hmm, maybe a purse with a refrigerator light inside?

dedtired thanked bpath
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Mine must have more than one compartment of more or less equal size. No cavernous wide open spaces for me, because everything floats to the bottom and I can't find anything. A related issue - the bag must be wider than it is tall, so I can clearly see the bottom.

At least one outer pocket for the cellphone.

A shoulder strap. Maybe short hand-carry-straps too, but not really necessary.

Must be leather or very heavy canvas/cloth. I am a handbag snob and do not buy faux materials.

99% of my handbags/accessories are Coach brand. But if Coach continues to move away from real leather, I'm going to have to find a new favorite.

dedtired thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • Sueb20
    7 years ago

Coach online: 30% off right now. :-)

dedtired thanked Sueb20
  • suero
    7 years ago

Outside pocket big enough to hold a #10 envelope. I used to have a bag with lots of inside pockets, but I always put stuff back in the wrong pocket and could never find it again without emptying the whole bag.

• hhireno
    7 years ago

bpathome, I'm glad if I get a light colored interior but the interior color is not a deal-breaker for me. The wrong straps are a deal-breaker. Any visible name or logo is a deal-breaker.

Maybe because I know people who buy the knock-off purses in NYC and outlet shop, but when I seeing someone carrying a visible brand I assume it's a knock-off or outlet store bag.

• deegw
    7 years ago

Cole Haan is having an early Black Friday special. I have carried this bag for years and asked for another color for Christmas. Fifty percent off today! It hits many of your requirements but not all.

https://m.colehaan.com/products/U01699?start=5&cgid=womens_blackfriday_handbags

• cattyles
    7 years ago

That woven leather is cute, dgw!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love the Cole Haan woven leather, in fact that's what my current bag is, but after four years of non-stop use, it is pretty well shot.

Sometimes I buy bags on ebay. My favorite money savers are the "new with defects". Often they are floor samples that have been handled a lot but probably look no worse than a new one does after a few weeks of use.

I always google anything I find on ebay to be sure it did not come from an outlet. Coach bags from their outlet stores are different from their genuine bags. I find Coach bags to be rather heavy.

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

Agree - no hearts on the Brighton bags. Mine are all very simple styles with no hearts!

dedtired thanked 3katz4me
  • cattyles
    7 years ago

I've always carried Coach. I don't have any other bags or leather accessories but I'm ready to branch out. I do think they are still good quality and I enjoy the colorful small leather goods. I still have a Coach bag that I received when I graduated from nursing school in 1985. I've bought many on eBay, too, dedtired. But I agree, you have to know exactly how to spot an outlet bag or a fake.

dedtired thanked cattyles
  • User
    7 years ago

dedtired, your post made me smile as it reminded me of of my late mother and her bag criteria. It was a sure bet than any new bag given to her would be returned. LOL.

I love leather and designer bags especially coach, but have found in recent years they tend to be too heavy so I've ended up defaulting to Vera Bradley. I love that they are lighter to carry and always seem to have the right amount of pockets and so on, but the down side is that they are too casual IMO and don't make for a good work bag. The quality has also declined considerably in recent years (of course).

• User
    7 years ago

Aside from all of my vintage purses, my requirements are that the strap or straps must fit over my shoulder comfortably, I prefer an inside zippered pocket, and it must be made by an independant company or by an individual artisan- preferably bought directly but I will also buy from a local non-chain store.

This is my next one (I'm prety sure its my upcoming birthday present 'cause the man knows I want it, I have another of hers and love it) https://www.roughseasdesigns.com/products/fishbowl-bag-goldfish

• cupofkindnessgw
    7 years ago

My regular bags are leather or mainly leather, cross body (to take the weight off of my shoulder), simple-no bling, charms, tassles-and the price needs to be close to half-off. Finding a light-weight bag is a challenge. Calvin Klein occassionally makes lovely leather purses that don't have that annoying (to me) CK emblem all over, but these bags tend to be smaller and have fewer pockets. I have a CK leather black bag, and a Coach Swing Pack small crossbody in ivory leather and C print fabric in pale beige (spring purse). I have one Fossil tote bag for travel, the Emma in wine, and it has a hidden phone pocket, lots of space and interior organizaiton as well. It zips up and stands up, but is not stiff or plasticy. I was a fan of Vera Bradley but not so much lately. I have the Turn-Lock Wallet in black microfiber which is light and has plenty of spots to stash things inside. Purchased a small red embossed leather wallet and use it in the Coach purse. Dooney and Bourke bags are really heavy, but very classsic. Could never buy a Michael Kors, though some of the styles are very nice. I love love love the look of Brighton bags (I don't mind the heart) but it bothers me that the accents are not real silver and will tarnish/wear off in time. I see a lot of Patricia Nash bags, which are very cool looking, but they remind me of the 70s, just not going there. No flaps, they get in the way. One last thing: no reptile skin, even fake reptile skin. Creepy...

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

So, ded, here's the deal. You find one that meets all those requirements and post it here, so I can get one just like it since I agree 100% with your must-haves. If I find one first, I will do the same for you, but I suggest you don't hold your breath. I have been looking for a couple of years and am still carrying my old one which is really looking pretty ratty these days. Sigh.

dedtired thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • LucyStar1
    7 years ago

Calf hair creeps me out, on shoes or bags.

My handbag requirements are: 1) It must be fairly good size, even though I am small. I hate a bag that is too small 2) It must have a zipper across the top. 3) It must have a slip pocket on the inside because that is where I put my keys and credit card case 4) No divided interior. That just makes the bag smaller.

The last handbag that I bought was the Dooney and Bourke Florentine Leather Medium Satchel.

dedtired thanked LucyStar1
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I have lots of bags. My requirements are that it fits the season,the outfit, and my mood. I will forgive all else. Wallets, makeup bags, and briefcases are another matter. Those I have a lot of specs for.

dedtired thanked MtnRdRedux
  • Funkyart
    7 years ago

I just read through all the posts and as I went thought about what I was going to post ... and Mtn just posted it.

(though I am less particular about makeup bags)

dedtired thanked Funkyart
  • zippity1
    7 years ago

i don't like changing handbags, drives me crazy...i'm developing what i've heard called a capsulized wardrobe (everything has to go with black/white/bluejeans) that's a lot of variety anyway to get on with the capsulized wardrobe, i purchased a black leather handbag, the first one i've had in maybe 30 years my other requirements were.....it had to hold my nook, sunglasses, wallet and kleenex with room to spare and it could not be bulky, had to hang on my shoulder or across it and fit fairly close to my body, the leather must feel soft and supple and it should have a couple of pockets i ran across a sak bag that fit all that criteria and though it didn't really appeal to me, it's not a "gorgeous" bag.... i bought it because it did fit the criteria and didn't break the bank and it's grown on me

dedtired thanked zippity1
  • joaniepoanie
    7 years ago

No dividers inside, zip closure, outside zippered pocket for phone. Not to "tall" so I can see the bottom, one strap, not too big or too small. If im shopping I'll always check out the purses but seldom find one I like so I use the same one for a long time until I tire of it or it starts looking ratty.

dedtired thanked joaniepoanie
  • bossyvossy
    7 years ago

My requirements are exactly as OP's plus it must be dark red (burgundyish) for winter and regular red for summer.

dedtired thanked bossyvossy
  • miniscule
    7 years ago

Weight is certainly important. If I see a bag I like, I pick it up first to see if it deserves further consideration. Anything with chains in the handles, metal decoration etc is usually ruled out for weight alone, nevermind appearances. I usually like a medium/small sized leather bag to hold keys, wallet and a small cosmetic purse plus a little room to spare. I like an outside pocket of some sort for my cell, so that I don't need to open the interior compartment. I am a bit of a bagoholic, but divested a nice collection of designer bags to my 3 DDs when I retired. I am trying to be restrained now, but still seem to "need" a few in different colours and styles to get by.

dedtired thanked miniscule
  • happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

Everything dedtired said. The top zipper has to extend a little and can't be tight in the corners. The strap has to stay on my shoulder. I want leather- soft supple leather or the kind that gets better with age - not nubby stiff leather. Absolutely no chains or fringe. I don't need big. I carry a wallet, comb, phone, keys, chap stick, tylenol, sometimes a shopping list or receipt. I do not want multiple compartments with zippers. I don't want to think about where I placed something. I always look at purses/pocketbooks/handbags when i shop but rarely find one. I tend to keep a good one a long time. Since I have retired one of my secret pleasures is having the time to change handbags to coordinate with an outfit, occasion, or function. I have been on the lookout for a navy blue purse.

dedtired thanked happy2b…gw
  • Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Dedtired, my requirements are pretty much the same as yours although I'm okay with two straps as long as they stay on my shoulder. I like to have two inside zipper compartments, one for cash and one for coupons and other necessary paper, in addition to the two slip pockets inside. It's nice if the outside has at least one pocket for quick access of certain things while I'm shopping.

Brighton has had the best selection for me in recent years as the insides of their bags are usually well designed. I immediately remove all of the hanging jewelry. There was a time when I changed my purse frequently depending on my outfit and the occasion, but I gave up that practice.

dedtired thanked Fun2BHere
  • gsciencechick
    7 years ago

I think VB discontinued the size I liked the most. I have CK right now that MIL bought me. It is good, but I like a purse that I can easily put the full-size iPad in there, and that one is tight.

I saw some MK on ebay, but I am not sure those are fakes. I've never been a freak about handbags. I used to have good luck at JCPenney, but I don't know the last time I was at a mall. The chi-chi mall nearest my house doesn't have JCPenney.

But, yeah, I'd like a new leather purse, too.

dedtired thanked gsciencechick
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

Value wise, I think cole haan gives a good product for less than others. The leather really holds up well. I have many handbags in all colors and styles but do like well made bags with a lean towards satchel and drawstring bucket. Funny, the only bag color I do not ever carry is burgundy. And weight, yes, no more 5 pound bags unfilled!

dedtired thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

If you need help determining if something is a knock off this site is great...purse forum

I like coach handbags and mostly buy them from ebay.I was in a brown phase for awhile and had a computer bag and purse that I loved. Eventually i wanted to use black bags and I was able to set up a search and get the exact same purse and computer back pack in black in great condition. they were no longer making them. I use them everyday. hmmm I should put that search back on to get a back up!

dedtired thanked Boopadaboo
  • Sueb20
    7 years ago

I've been looking at this one -- love the subtle details -- but I don't usually do brown, and on another site I saw that it's almost 2 lbs. Too heavy for me.

https://m.colehaan.com/products/U01910?start=12&cgid=womens_handbags_satchelsshoulder

I have a whole cabinet of bags and each one is less than perfect in some way. I've been using a very simple Kate Spade cross body, but it's just too small.

dedtired thanked Sueb20
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good to know you all are as bag obsessive as me. Cyn, it's a deal. If I ever find that perfect bag, I'll let you know. At the rate I am going, I will soon be carrying a grocery bag. Boop, that is a great site! I often wonder about the authenticity of bags and I also want to avoid the "made for the outlet" bags. Mtn, I thought you were a backpack kind of girl.

Sue, that bag is close to ideal, although I can't tell how many pockets it has inside.! Maybe I should snap it up while it is on sale. Hmmm.

I don't like putting everything in one wallet because if I lose it , or someone helps themselves to it, I have only lost some not all of my stuff.

Okay, off to stuff the turkey.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

I'm not a purse snob, and I don't mean that as a pejorative, just that I don't really care all that much. I need something roomy without being big and heavy. It has to accommodate my rather hefty wallet (not because it's filled with greenbacks), phone, small makeup bag and odds and ends. Most every bag in my price range ($80-150) has the inner zippered pocket and usually two open pockets on the opposite side. Certain things go into those pockets in whatever bag I'm using.

The one thing I demand is a zippered top. I mean, how else do you ensure stuff doesn't fall out when your bag tips over?

It has to feel comfortable and ergonomic on my shoulder. I would never consider a purse that has to be carried in my hands. I recently got a Kipling bag so I could wear it across my body and I always forget I can do that and just wear it on my shoulder.

I always choose black because it's easy. I love that Bossy must have red. Gotta love red.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

I buy used Tods handbags on eBay. I prefer large totes with no exterior ornamentation. I like a variety of colors and functional components after that. Simple, high quality leather would describe my typical bag.

I am weak when it comes to handbags and shoes because they fit no matter what!

• smhinnb
    7 years ago

Like others have mentioned, I like at least one, preferably two, exterior pockets for cell phone and keys. I have a leather Dooney & Bourke that I use in the winter that is almost perfect, but it's heavy. I'm also a sucker for a pretty lining.

The last new purses I've purchased have been from a Canadian company called Roots -- maybe some of you have heard of it? All their leather goods are handmade in Canada. I have a white Roots bag (turquoise lining!) I've used for years in the summer, and I just purchased this one today. I want something for the shoulder seasons where I don't want to carry black or white, but this one might be too small so I may end up returning it. I also have one of their flat crossbody bags which are GREAT. They're having a great sale right now, 30% off everything.

http://www.roots.com/ca/en/sierra-bag-nubuck-18012102.html?cgid=leatherHandbags&start=52&selectedColor=Y87#start=52

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

I like that sierra bag...

• smhinnb
    7 years ago

Robo there was a sort of cranberry\burgundy coloured one there earlier (called Sophia) that looked almost identical to the Sierra, but was a few inches bigger. I went back to buy it too, so I could compare and then return one.... but it's gone. :(

I think their stock is going quickly with this sale, their leather goods only go on sale about twice a year.

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

I ordered this one...hope it's not huge IRL.

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

My last two bags have been Roots and I love them. I tend to wear one bag until it dies, but these are such good quality, I just oil them up once in a while and they look like new. The bag I have now is similar to the Sierra but the strap isn't as nice. I like that buckle detail.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

Uhoh...I dreamed about finding the perfect bag last night and planning to share here. Problem was that in my dream, it was nothing like what ded described. Sigh.

• neetsiepie
    7 years ago

I prefer tote styles, but they must be wider at the top and not too deep. Absolutely must have a zipper all the way across the top so nothing can fall out when it tips over. I don't care too much for outside pockets, but do like an inside pocket where I can stash some things, and that inside pocket must have a zipper also. I prefer metal feet, and the bag should have some ring or other place to hook my keys inside.

Leather is a plus, but I do have some canvas and woven bags-I'm not picky on color, but I won't have a white bag-I recently picked up a raspberry leather tote style and a suede cross body pouch with fringe on the sides. I must confess to a collection of over 70 bags currently. I switch them out according to my mood or outfit. I have an addiction to handbags!

I love tassles, fringe, and metal on my bags, but not a fan of obvious branding-all my Coach bags are plain leather or straw, i don't like the logo print. Texture is big for me, quilted is good-I've got a quilted patent leather shopper very reminiscent of Chanel. I do love Michael Kors bags but haven't added any to my collection yet.

I prefer large bags, either with handles large enough to slip up to the crook of my arm or cross body straps, I don't like shoulder bags or clutches. One thing I really dislike in bags is multiple compartments. I prefer the bags to be open and I use small pouches inside to hold different things. Makes changing out my bags a lot easier.

I am asking for this one for Christmas

• smhinnb
    7 years ago

I have to confess to buying another Roots bag at their store yesterday - one I hadn't seen on the website. I don't *need* another black bag.... but it has a pink lining so I was all done-in.... haha. (excuse crappy photos)

• cattyles
    7 years ago

Love the pink lining!

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Smhinnb, that's a pretty bag. Nothing on the Roots website looked that refined. Most of their purses were pretty rustic/casual looking.

• smhinnb
    7 years ago

Fun2BHere, every time I looked at their website there was less and less to see. I think their stock was selling quickly due to the sale.... their leather products don't go on sale very often. I had my eye on a grey one on the website that disappeared almost immediately.

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Smhinnb, you must be right. I'll try to remember to take a look once they get spring items in stock.

• JePenseTrop
    7 years ago

A zippered top, pockets inside, genuine leather/fabric - no vinyl.

For travel - crossbody.

I have a lot of casual bags that I really like from Fossil and The Sak.

For structured and a bit dressier - my favorite bags du jour are from Spartina 449. I've gotten quite a few of them from Zulily lately - all of them have been the patterned linen and leather which I'm addicted to. They send me a notice when they're available on the site.

But, I did just buy this all leather Spartina 449 beauty for only $95/reg. $208 from Zulily (along with some other nice pieces).

Spartina 449 Boardwalk Tote

• dedtired
    Original Author
    last year

Ha ha, funny. i just ordered a new handbag. Does not meet all my five year old criteria. Its a Longchamp Roseau tote.

okay, off to flag arik dricker..

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year
    last modified: last year

It's all kind of funny and I have definitely moved on from cole haan bags. They're way too fuddy duddy for me these days.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County