SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Handbag afficionados: can you help with ID?

Sueb20
8 years ago

In the airport the other day, I saw a woman carrying a purse that I really liked. The zipper had what looked like a brass sun hanging from it -- I assume that was a brand ID, but I tried googling and couldn't figure it out. Can anyone ID what brand has this type of zipper? It didn't seem like something the woman had added herself...but I suppose that's a possibility.

I have a purse problem. Some of you might empathize. :)

Comments (75)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mitch, I think I've given up on the purse mystery but the sun was more solid, kind of like this. And a good size, maybe about 2"...

• Related Discussions

Question for Daff afficionados :0)

Q

Comments (4)
    If you will put in the Gardenweb search box the word Limequilla-you will come up with a post entitled "6 inches-correct planting depth for daffodils?" and then all the info! Hope this helps! :0) Phyl
    ...See More

Little NoID. Can you help ID?

Q

Comments (5)
    I broke the eyes apart (I don't mean literally "broke", but they seem to be loose enough most of the time, that they just fall apart once the dirt is removed) and re-planted in the same area, but a couple of inches apart. It gave a "clump" feeling and allowed each individual eye to multiply. Now, after 3 years, I'm giving it away in trades.
    ...See More

Handbag Rut? Help.

Q

Comments (157)
    There are always going to be those more fortunate in many ways~children/grandchildren, profession, intelligence, beauty, and yes, the worst beast of all, the 'almighty dollar.' Whether it's purses, houses, vacations, decorating, clothing, shoes, or beauty treatments, and both spouses or one spouse has been blessed with being successful and comfortable in life, some of that 'success' needs to be given back. One of our forum member's(you know who you are ;) has been very fortunate to have the opportunity to visit a third world country, but in reading her posts, it wasn't as much about the trip as it was about bringing gifts for the children. It's very obvious she is giving back and sharing her blessings. 'Rules of the universe' dictate much of my life also, and it makes my heart sing when I know I can change a life, feed an animal, or possibly. *save* both, with just a small part of my blessings. What a wonderful feeling! With that said, if you aren't 'playing by the rules' you shouldn't be splurging on material possessions, especially when you are aware a contribution to ANY organization can make a difference in our world. If you think an expensive pair of shoes makes you happy, giving reallllllllly makes you happy!
    ...See More

Help me figure out this handbag logo

Q

Comments (11)
    There aren't too many handbag designers with those initials or that use them as part of their design/logo :-) Have you checked out the Carolina Herrera website? She has a LOT of different bags displayed and the embellishments using the initials takes all forms. It might very well be one of those.
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like some Ellington bags. I had this one in the spring, except the colors were reversed (tan body, black straps). I thought it was The Bag for me. But it ended up being a little heavy, and the tan was boring.

http://www.ellingtonhandbags.com/Home_2/Totes/Valerie-Tote-Black

Told you I had issues.

• DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

I like this..... you just keep posting your links and I'll click buy now - you pretty much nail the look I'm after! A couple are bit too big for me - I'm short and it can look like the bag is carrying me if I'm not careful ;-) but I sure do love they look of all of them! Carry on!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 years ago

DLM same here -- I'm short and hate to add to my width with a giant bag, but then...I have a friend who is even shorter and quite a bit heavier, and she carries such a tiny bag, I think it makes her look bigger! So that's another item for the rule book.

I wish Boden showed a model carrying that pink bag -- you know, like Zappos does? I can't really picture how big that bag really is. The way it's worded isn't that clear.

• DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

I actually like the shape and size of that Boden bag - it's a bit shorter and a bit wider than the Ellington coral bag and I think that makes it more interesting - love the ticking but it seems there isn't an inner slip pocket for a phone which is one of MY issues!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like the pink one ;) But yes, I like the outer pocket for at least my phone or my keys, and that one doesn't have it.

But oh! I forgot about Nino Bossi bags. I have had one or two before, and I liked the slightly boho look and they are lightweight, and have cute printed interior. (Another item for the list: colorful interior.) I like this one!

http://www.ebags.com/product/nino-bossi/tonya-tote/279540?productid=10320442

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If anyone still cares (DLM, I know you do, LOL)...I just ordered this one in pink!

http://www.ebags.com/product/nino-bossi/tonya-tote/279540?productid=10320442

• DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

HA! I was looking at that in the Shiraz color!

• DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

BTW - I even called Boden just to check if that purse had a phone slip pocket - nope.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOL Oly! That's funny.

DLM, we should go shopping together. ;)

• tinam61
    8 years ago

Apparently I'm not a handbag "afficionado" LOL!! I like a nice, good quality handbag but I could care less what brand and I will not carry one that has a name (brand) on it. I refuse to pay a ton for a handbag. I never see the charms on handbags around here.
    I like that bag from Boden. DLM - if you really like that bag - have you ever used a handbag organizer? You could have your phone slip there. I'm like you, I prefer a slip or pocket inside the bag for my phone. I don't put anything of value in an outside pocket, and really prefer a bag without an outside pocket.

• DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

Sue I'd be boring to shop with - I'm the best window shopper there is! I can talk myself out of pretty much any purchase even though my DH would probably argue that. (he has no idea the money I save based on what I DON'T buy!) I don't shop for sport and when I'm with friends who do, it actually makes my skin crawl and I feel kind of hemmed in going from store to store - is there a nonshopper disorder?? I have it!

Tina I've never used a handbag organizer and it would open up a range of purses that don't meet the criteria off the bat. But in my world, the purse should already allow me to organize my way! I have a Dooney & Bourke small tote (always carried label against my side - another quirk) that I love and it has 2 outside pockets one of which I use for my grocery list and the other holds 3x5 notecards. Don't ask.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

HAHA! Outside pockets would be fine for stuff like that. I have a fear of phone, etc. being taken out of an outside pocket. I don't use a handbag organizer either - per se, but I do have a cosmetic bag and another small bag to keep items situated.

I'm one who doesn't enjoy shopping (other than for the home, antiques, etc.). I'm great at on-line shopping. LOL

And note, I didn't ask, intriguing though it may be.

• DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

Really not intriguing at all, just a throwback to pen and paper. Love my smart phone but am still a Luddite in some ways and it's easier to remember things I've actually written.

• User
    8 years ago

How do you keep those 2 handled bags on your shoulder? One strap inevitably slips off of mine that’s why now I only buy bags with a single. I’ll use the same bag all summer and then switch for fall/winter. Have to have a zippered outside pocket for my keys and written list and the strap has to drop low enough for me to access the bag without taking it off my shoulder.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

You all are killing me! I've clicked on every link and I want it alll! And Nordstrom is starting their anniversary sale in a couple of days too and I've already trolled on their pages. That Techno Bag really intrigues me. and that little plum wrist wallet! Thanks for the endorsement, sas95. I am nowhere new NYC so maybe I'm safe and will start something down here.

We're leaving for Oregon in 2 weeks and I'm already wondering what else I can cram in my tote bag. Especially since I'm planning to take my 'big' camera this time and oh yeah the extra lens too (maybe).

• User
    8 years ago

OutsidePlaying...there is no sales tax in Oregon so my motto is the more I buy ... the more I save :-). There is a really nice Nordstrom right down the block from the Hilton (in case you are staying there).

I envy people who can keep an organized purse. No matter how many compartments there are...all my stuff ends up at the bottom of the bag including post it notes with shopping lists (all dated...some going back months).

• DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

You date your shopping lists? Has to be a story with this one - how come?

• joaniepoanie
    8 years ago
    • I'm not really a purse person either but I know what I like and want. Every time I'm looking for a new purse I think about starting my own handbag line because...geez...why can't they make a purse that has this and that, etc.. I've even thought of going to a juried craft festival, finding the leather guy, and having a purse made to my exact specifications...lol.
  • User
    8 years ago

Dlm...yes I sure do. I put a date on everything. I think it has to do with my legal background....everything needed to be dated. It's just a quirk...one of very many :-).

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I put dates on a lot of things, but not my shopping lists! I do write down when I do things like change out the water filters, buy new mascara, etc, so I can keep up with when I need to buy new. Marlene, thanks for the G2 on the Nordstrom store.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

Try a Google Image search for big Buddha bags. I have a few, really like the Hibiscus, and the Taylor, the Randy woven hobo, if you want colorful they have an ikat print tote.

• User
    8 years ago

I am not a handbag person but I am so enjoying this thread. When I find a handbag I like, I pretty much wear it to death. I never change handbags. For those reasons, I am very in favor of bags which mix both black and brown. I actually am using a Buddha bag which I bought about 3 years ago at Marshall's. I really love it- it's black with brown trim.

One absolute requirement is that it must have a zipper closure. I guess the NYC heritage (you can take the girl out of Brooklyn, but....) has really left an imprint. Now it's less for pick pocketing but stuff will fall out when I toss it in the car.

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

I have more purses than I care to count. I went through a Brighton phase, then through a Coach phase. Then I went to Italy on vacation. Discovered the School of Leather in Florence. School of Leather And you can shop online. Shop online here They ship via FedEx. Shipping isn't too bad, but 2-3 weeks after your purchase arrives, you'll get a bill from FedEx for the duty. That hurt! Who knew?? I have 2 bags from them. You can email and they will customize anything you want (I wanted a bag they showed online, but in different colors, with different stitching and different decorations). Once you buy, you get 10% off all future orders forever. Our leather is really crappy here, once you feel there's! Complete leather inside and out. Your initials engraved (for $1) if you want. Amazing quality. Truly handmade. Expensive, yes. But the second purse I bought from them, I never change it out. I use it always and I love it!

This was brand new out of the box. The handle is very soft - I made it stand up for the picture. This is a lambskin leather. I wanted solid black, although on the website you'll see it in colors. I'm 5'2" and this is my "big" purse. I absolutely adore it!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am not even going to look. I'm going to pretend I never even saw your post, Debbi.

• kitschykitch
    8 years ago

Bet you can't.

Look, another handbag post!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

Omg don't click on it! It's too late for me I clicked, I knew not to but I did it! I love everything and I can't afford anything! So painful! So beautiful my precious....

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

The justification is it that whatever you buy there will last a lifetime :)

• DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

3, 2, 1..... wanna bet where Sue is??

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Debbi, I like your bag but I didn't see any others that I loved. See DLM? I looked, and I'm fine. I am waiting for my new pink bag to arrive, maybe tomorrow!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just kidding. I kinda love this one.

• Mimou-GW
    8 years ago

Just want to thank Rococogurl for the MZ Wallace link! My "Coco" bag just arrived and I'm in love!

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I should also thank Rococogurl for the link to MZ Wallace! My 'Aspen' navy techno puff tote bag arrived yesterday and I too am loving it already. We're going on vacation next week and it is so lightweight I know it will be a great carry-on tote. It's about the same size as a leather tote I have but so much lighter and with loads of pockets inside and a separate zipper bag.

I also ordered a small wrist wallet (the wrist thingy is removable) in a pretty plum color leather. I'm trying to be very compact on this trip with clothes and totables. Love the wallet too and both were on sale.

• mitchdesj
    8 years ago

Is the Aspen almost black, like a super dark navy? I didn't order mine yet.

• mitchdesj
    8 years ago

sorry, it's the night blue puff that is almost black, I'm ordering that one.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

So pleased to have partners in "crime." Using my Faye tote for our trip this week. Detached the change purse and connected my car key LOL.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

The Aspen navy techno puff is the one I bought. The navy is pretty dark but I wouldn't say it's almost black. I see the one you're talking about and it looks darker.

• MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago

I just purchased this Madewell a few days ago. Can't wait to get it!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, after all the fuss, I realized yesterday that I never actually ordered the bag that I SAID I ordered. I had put it in my online cart at Ebags, but never "checked out." Duh. So I decided to hold off because I knew I had to go to the mall this morning. I'm here to admit that I ended up buying a Vera Bradley bag. I swore I'd never do it. But I did. Don't ask me why, I just have a Thing against VB. I feel (and I know this is not accurate and I apologize in advance to VB fans) that they are for the under-18 or over-65 crowd. However. They are lightweight and good for summer. And I liked the print and the size. So there. I've done it. I'll probably become a huge VB fan and have one for every season before you know it.

• User
    8 years ago

VB isn't what it used to be. My mom had a collection of the bags back in the 80s/90s. I was surprised to see the updated styles available when I went looking for a cosmetic bag a couple years ago.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

love that purple bag you picture above...

I also am not a VB fan and think it appeals to the same group you mentioned-- i don't have any vb- just not my style.

I bought a lightwt multi colored crocheted 'sak' for this summer and have enjoyed using it tho overall, I prefer the wt of leather...

• User
    8 years ago

Love Sak's crocheted bags for summer. I have a couple in taupe from years past.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I just saw Sak's crochet bags at Costco last weekend.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Sueb, I actually have a couple of the VB accessory bags and I do like them. One is a make-up bag (or at least that's what I use it for), another is a small bag I use for my earrings when I travel (it's probably a coin purse or something), and another is a hang-up bag for toiletries. I like that I can wash them and air dry when they get dirty & they look great after. Oh and I have one I can put my reading glasses in too. I have seen some solid color and print tote bags that actually look nice & functional too.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

You are too funny. Here in our area I have not seen those under 18 carrying VB. It is hugely popular with the college crowd here though. I also have not seen those 65 and up carrying VB. I'll admit I haven't really looked, but it sure hasn't been something I've noticed. I know alot of the moms (which is probably the 25-40ish age group) like VB and have the diaper bags. Her cross body bags are popular here. And in our nearby touristy area, there is a VB outlet. I've also noticed alot of VB (discounted) at a local Steinmart. I bought a friend a VB bag for Christmas - and she is 57, although looks much younger but the VB bag looks good on her. I like some of the black with bright prints because I wear alot of black and brights, but I also wear a good many prints/patterns, so the bags often clash with my clothing. I like the VB laptop bags too.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My 14 yo DD has a VB comforter, overnight bag, two little purses....so maybe that's why it feels funny that I now have a VB bag too! I have to say, it's great so far. I have one pocket on the outside for my phone and sunglasses, another for my keys, and a bunch of pockets lining the inside "walls" of the bag. I can put lots of stuff in it, but it weighs almost nothing on its own. I don't think it quite screams "VB" as much as some of the wilder prints do...