SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elissa_norris

Winter plan Advice for "Outdoor Container" Fiddle Fig Trees

Elissa Norris
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

HI, I am seeking advice for how to manage my 4 ft FLF's this "winter", Im in Houston (zone 9a) and my FLF have lived outdoors since I bought in April. I moved them inside for 2.5 days this week because the temp dropped for the first time into the 40's with cold wind gusts but Im not really sure what Im doing here. Other than what nature has done by making shorter sunlight hours I did nothing to acclimatize them to that transition (because I dont really know what that would have been) They've been under the western edge of a large covered patio and are used to receiving direct sun for a few afternoon hours a day so my first question is how concerned am I to transfer then to receiving indirect sunlight only for weeks at a time? I moved them back outside today (59degrees and windy) for a few hours of direct sun since they had only had very indirect light those 2.5 days indoors (by the glass door that is under the patio) but Im not sure if thats the best for it either since it is getting a temp swing of 12 degrees and exposed to the wind gusts?

How concerned am I about them being left outside during the day when its in the mid 50's and windy? (as thats usually what our cold winter days here in Houston) Are FLF as finicky to outdoor gusts as they are said to be with indoor drafts?

What is an overnight temp drop that I need to be concerned about? They stayed outside the first night it dipped to about 44deg for one or two hours last week and seem fine so maybe its better to not stress it by constantly changing temps?

Or is it beneficial to move them in and out for a few hours of direct sun if its sunny outside if it means swinging the plants surrounding temps by 15degrees and exposing it to wind gusts?

Lastly, I have two indoor window options- one is a standard small window that faces west (slightly SW- 240 deg lat) but has a outdoor fence 4 ft in front so daylight hours coming thru although direct are limited. The other window option Im thinking might be best since Im only mainly considering western facing windows is by my large bay window that face 330 deg lat (NW) and open to my back yard so I feel it gets many more good indirect light hours just never quite as direct as the other- thoughts?

Comments (4)