SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lj_b

Fiddle Leaf Fig tree Root Maintenance & Prune

lj_b
7 years ago

Hi All,

I have a Fiddle Leaf Fig tree that was given to me in July, I live in Sydney so that was the start of winter. I don't think the tree is in great health and I've wanted to prune and give it some root maintenance since I received it. However, I didn't think winter was the best time to put the plant in any undue stress. Now that we have just entered into spring I thought it would be a good time to start helping it along. It's about 2.3m tall and it's leaves are not in the best shape. Some are quite small and others are slowly turning brown. I want to prune the tree beacuse it's getting too tall for me to keep inside or in my green house outside. Also I think the tree would look better to be pruned around the middle where the smaller leaves are, giving it better shape as it continues to grow. The tree seems to have been potted in a pete/mulch mix. The major concern with this is that the roots are starting to grow out of the drainage holes and the whole soil mass is so compacted that I can lift it straight out of the container with everything intact. I would like to give some root maintenance rather then just potting up and put it in some Premium potting mix so it can start to regenerate health. Is it ok to both prune and repot at the same time ? should I look to sort out the roots and then move onto the pruning ? I would also like to propagate the off cut stem into another tree, as the cutting will be approx. 1m. I thought spring would be the best time for this, is that correct? Any advice and/or tips would be appreciated. Attached is a picture of the tree for reference. Thanks in Advance

Comments (2)