SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
teeny_morris

Fiddle Leaf Fig/Ficus Lyrata lower leaf growth/pruning HELP!!

Teeny Morris
5 years ago

Hi All,

I've had my fiddleleaf tree for three years now and she started out very lush, but because of a few moves in the last three years she's dropped most of her lower leaves and it doesn't seem like they're going to grow back without a little help. She's finally in a great place, not dropping any leaves and all remaining leaves look healthy and happy. However, she only buds new leaves at the tops of her branches.

I'd like to start a few new branches if that's what it's going to take to get some of that lower leaf growth back. I was thinking I would repot her now that she's stable and it's warm outside and then in two or three weeks try pruning some of her branches. Most of the pruning advice I've read talks about removing the branch just above a leaf, however since all of her leaves are so high up on the branch I have a feeling that won't help much or encourage new growth where I want it.

Can anyone recommend notching and where to do it on the branch to encourage lower leaf/new branch growth? Or is there a way to encourage lower branch leaves without having to grow new branches? Any help is much appreciated.

Comments (9)

Sponsored Story
Pristine Acres
Pro Spotlight: Unearth a Backyard Made for Your Outdoor Lifestyle