SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_ficas

Need to extend microwave from wall

Josh
7 years ago

Hi all, first time posting here. I found this forum through this post -- I have the same dilemma as the original poster:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchen-microwave-cabinet-mistake-dsvw-vd~1108176

Long story short, I'm in a 4 year old house. I have an over the range microwave. The cabinets above the range extend out further than all of the other cabinets. There is no exterior vent for the microwave. The builder installed a microwave that has a front-facing vent above the microwave door, so it vents directly out the front. I replaced the microwave only to realize that all of the newer microwaves vent "up" out of the top-front of the microwave and it doesn't clear the cabinets. Only a tiny portion of the vent is exposed, and it hits the bottom of the cabinet doors.

The walls behind the cabinets are cement block and I don't want to cut through it to vent. We went back to Lowes where we bought the microwave and it seems all of the demo kitchens they have, the microwaves stick out far enough to clear the cabinets.

I think my best solution is to simply extend the wall mount out from the wall by 1-2 inches. It's a fairly skinny metal strip that runs horizontally along the bottom of the microwave. I'm thinking about simply mounting a board to the wall where the microwave mount currently is, then attaching the microwave mount to it. I'll obviously have to drill new holes in the bottom of the cabinet for the top microwave screws, but this will allow the microwave to stick out far enough for the vents to not blow hot, moist air directly onto the front of our cabinets.

My question is, what is the best material to use to mount to the wall? You have to duck down and look up to see under/behind the microwave where this extension would go, so appearance isn't horribly important, however, I don't want to see a splintery 2x4 when I do. I also don't want it to rot due to constant moisture from cooking on the stove top.

I was considering using a treated 2x4, sanding down the corners and ends so it's not so harsh (not sure how well that would work on a cut 2x4), and painting it black, as the microwave is black and our cabinets are an extremely dark brown. Would this suffice? Or some thick particle board -- which wouldn't be treated? Or is there some other type of non-wood material I could use for this?

I'm planning on tackling this project this weekend while my son is in town for Thanksgiving. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (3)