SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

First time making a turkey in a convection oven

My new range with double oven arrived. It is an LG 4315. I chose a double oven because I have always had one and we use the smaller upper oven a lot. It has the option to use convection or not.

We are empty nesters and have not tried it out til yesterday.

Is there anything I should know? Convection is totally new to me. I want to make sure I don’t miscalculate.

I made a meatloaf yesterday and it was ready 20 minutes faster. The surface was much drier. I set the temperature for 350 and convection, and it automatically scaled down to 325.

I’m planning to buy a chicken today and roast that as a closer test.

The fresh turkeys I buy do not have a pop-up timer. I use a meat thermometer. However, the last 2 years the thermometer was not placed correctly (I know it’s not supposed to hit a bone, but sometimes you just don’t know if you’ve placed it right). It hit temp way early, when nothing else was close to being done. I also check doneness by looking for the meat shrinking back on the drumstick bone. Once I see that, I test for clear juices coming out when pierced. We had to take the bird out, cover with foil, and hold it til the rest was almost done, then pop it back in the oven.

It’s only us, our kids, and my new DIL. But I tend to stress out over timing and coordination, and distract easily when catching up on the latest news.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (6)