SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoerosehill2

How should I get my roses ready to winter in NE Ohio?

I have around 20 roses in pots that will go into my garage. Last year they went in there, and I didn't prune them or anything. They all made it- it was a mild winter though.

In the ground, I have around 25 HTs and Grandifloras. Queen Elizabeth and another orange one whose name eludes me now are quite tall. What should I do with these roses? Pruning know how has always been a hard thing for me. I look at photos about how to do it, but still don't understand all the fine points and aspects of it. Many of my bushes need shaping, as they don't have a pretty shape at all. Last year I did not cut them back at all prior to winter and just mounded some peat moss at the base and then covered that with mulch. I garden center here told me to do that. Does everyone agree that this is the thing to do, or should I be doing something else?

Around my fishpond on trellises are 8 Don Juan climbers. Where would I find burlap, and what width should I be looking for, and how should I wrap the canes. The plants are only 1 & 2 years old, so they are not huge to wrap. Any help with these 3 categories would be helpful. I still have so much to learn.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm