SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kamereone

Perennial, foliage die back, and nomenclature

7 years ago

So I realize that the classification system of us "common folk" is likely a gross simplification that causes the blood of academics to boil; meaning this question may not have a good answer without going into "technical" depths - not that I mind!

As I understand the plants we grow are grouped thusly:

-annuals, that live one season and call it quits

-"annuals" that are really perennials being grown in a non-native climate and thus only survive one season

-biennials that live two seasons and call quits (parsley, I'm looking at you)

-perennials with an annual dormancy period and die back of all growth

-perennials with annual dormancy, loss of foliage only

-perennials that give no damns and just keep on trucking forever / no physical changes during dormancy

Now in my mind things like trees and shrubs fall into the perennial category, hence the subdivision of "foliage only" - but is this an accurate way to look at it?

It seems like a daylily, as a perennial that dies off to the ground and regrows each year, is fundamentally different than say, a raspberry that looses foliage only and the stems resume growth in the spring; which still differs from similar deciduous types that can flower multiple seasons on the same growth.

Being a new Englander, I wonder if something that looses foliage here in the north would retain it if the climate allowed? Would a maple tree never loose its leaves in a greenhouse at constant temperature? If so, does that mean the deciduous designation is also climate dependant, just as a tomato is considered an annual here but is truly a perennial?

Hope that wasn't too convoluted, these sort of things keep my mental gerbils running in circles!

Comments (6)