SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
railparail

How do you care for perennials so they come back strong?

12 years ago

Hi,

I found this great forum and I'm thrilled to be the part of the community. I am in SS Zone 16/17, in SF Bay Area, on the peninsula.

I've been growing some hardy annuals in containers at my garden for the past couple of years. Some of these are borderline but some others are survivors over the coldest winters. Some that I've tried are Freesias, Tuberous Begonias (that need storage in winter and are true perennials), and some are verbanas, fuschias and evergreen begonia (forgot the variety) and Million Bells etc., which are apparently almost evergreens in my climate.

So my question is about the latter, that survive through the winter.

Trouble I've had is that they hold up but the following Spring, they take REALLY long time and effort to come back. I've seen that they never really revive even in Spring.

What am I doing wrong? My last year's survivors took the entire season to barely *begin* growing by which time it's fall already! I watered regularly, and provided them with partial sun+shade. Do they need a feeding schedule or do they need soil change or what else? What is your experience?

I would love to be able to see full containers the next year! I am not expecting them to keep growing through winters but I was really thinking that once weather gets better, they will continue the growth from where they stopped. Does not seem to happen....

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Comments (15)