SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clayprewitt

Jade Plant losing leaves and branches

clay peabody
7 years ago

Hello friends. I have a 15 year old jade tree that's in some trouble, and would love some advice.

This plant was thriving until about a year ago, when I moved it to a larger pot and different location in the house. As best I can tell, I made several mistakes:

1. The pot was too large

2. The soil mixture was likely much too heavy

3. There wasn't as much light in the new space

As you'd expect, the plant started losing leaves, and then whole branches. Plus, it's getting very leggy (not enough light, right?) and I don't know what to do.

I sprayed most of the soil off the roots, and it appears that some of the roots are still okay, and I cut off the ones that looked to be rotten. On the tree itself, there are a couple of "trunks" that look pretty healthy, and one in particular that doesn't.

I plan on re-potting in a small planter, with a better soil mixture (50% cactus soil, 50% perlite). But my question is: should I plant the whole thing, or should I divide into multiple trees. Naturally, I'd like to keep the whole thing intact, but I don't know that that's an option at this point.

I trust and appreciate the knowledge amongst regular posters on this board, so I'm really helping that someone can make a suggestion as to how to proceed. Thank you all very much!

Comments (8)