SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coriannh0uzzviolatedmyprivacy

Mulching under citrus in warm, dry, mild climates like NorCal

So I have always mulched in the past. When I don't, that has been when I notice little problems with all my plants, including citrus.

But recently I read this and now I'm conflicted...

http://farmerfredrant.blogspot.com/2010/12/mulch-under-citrus-trees-pros-and-cons.html?m=1

I just planted some new citrus trees in a raised bed (about 3 feet deep with open bottom) with wonderful soil that drains well. I mulched like usual. I usually mulch thicker outside the canopy, but still mulch a lighter, thinner layer under the canopy. It's not super thick, only about an inch, but I did spread it up to about an inch from the trunk.

Is this "improper or excessive use of mulch" that may actually promote root rot development? I have never experienced that in the past, but it has been quite a few years since I have had new baby citrus trees so maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Should I pull the mulch back 6 inches?

Climates and conditions are so vastly different for so many of us... but is there anyone in northern or Southern California that can weigh in?

The new trees in question include a Eureka lemon, Washington navel orange, hass avocado, sweet marsh grapefruit, Mexican lime, Meyer lemon and clementine.

We don't get a lot of rain (if any). It's a very dry climate. Hand watering for now while they're new so I can monitor them, then going to drip irrigation.

Thanks!

Comments (6)