SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esmith713

Foundation planting suggestions? Photo attached

Conifer K(7b GA)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm in south 7a (Atlanta) and I'm looking to replace the boxwood's and hollies along my foundation with a few conifers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is north-west facing and the foundation likely gets 5-6 hours of direct sunlight in the growing season. The neighbors informed me that the 40ft Leylands on the fence line are coming out next spring, which may increase that total. Ill likely remove the Holly on the far right corner and the tree in front of it next spring as well. The yellow mark is where I planted a Donard's Gold Monterrey Cypress and the green line is where a Green Giant was just put in. Both are less than 2ft in height atm. The dogwoods arent in the best shape and likely wont make it much longer either. The area right of the walk up, closer to the house, will eventually be filled with several dwarf conifers as well. The main areas im looking to improve right now are right along the foundation, left of the walk up, maybe an 8' x 50' area. Pine straw, the ground cover of choice around here is not so cheap, so Id certainly like to fill it all in with conifer carpets and spreaders. Any plant suggestions for the front or back of the Green Giant and along the neighbors fence line would be great also. Like I said, the Leylands are coming out in the spring meaning that area will likely receive a full 8 hrs in the summer, if not more. I'm a big fan of Cedrus, Crypto, Pine's and all Cypress's. I love Abies and Picea but i'm reluctant for a number of reasons, including our temps. Thanks!

Comment (1)