SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brian2412

Newly Planted Apple Tree Pruning (Photos Attached)

brian2412
14 years ago

I've recently moved to Richland, WA (Eastern Washington) and planted an "unknown" variety Apple tree this fall. We are zone 7 (although, probably closer to a high 6). My soil is like beach sand when I dig. I have plenty of water available, but this is a desert (hot summers, cold winters with minimal precip ~7 inches a year). At the recommendation of the local nursery, I added soil amendments when planting. I've also staked this tree to assist with our high spring winds.

My goals for this tree are to grow it much larger for shade and to produce fruit for my children to pick as they grow up (newborn and 2 1/2 years). I need some help with suggested training/pruning. My nursery who sold me the tree said it was "self-pollinating", yet most Apple trees are not and if they didnÂt know what variety of apple this is how would they know this?

The first photo is unedited. The second photo includes labels of the branches for easier discussion. The third photo shows my proposed pruning cuts (in red) and added spacers (in Orange - correct me if I don't need them). I plan on pruning all of my trees in the late winter, but before spring (probably early February). Can you please give me advice? IÂve never tried to grow trees and want to do it right. Thanks!

{{gwi:126281}}
{{gwi:126282}}
{{gwi:126283}}

Comment (1)