SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weirdcatlady

Any way to save my soft touch holly from the neighborhood dogs?

MizLizzie
7 years ago

So, the neighborhood dogs have almost killed my fourth soft touch holly. It is the end shrub in a row that edges a crescent shaped planter bed, and the one nearest the sidewalk on our neighborhood's main walking route. I am so tired of planting and re-planting the shrub. When #4 began went 25% brown, I finally went to the hardware store and had a sheet of plexiglass cut so I could build a little frame around it, about 18" high. It doesn't look great, but I think only the tallest dogs could pee on it now. The frame aside, I kind of doubt the holly will make it, but is there anything I could do to help it survive winter? Not Holly Tone, right? Should I snip out the brown parts? Spray it with something? Anything?

I might add that we love dogs, work in animal rescue, and don't mind the dogs peeing on our birch trunks, or even our wax myrtles, which are mature enough and tough enough to take it. But we have had a little sign up for 3 years now BEGGING folks not to let their dogs pee on this pathetic bush. You would think they could be considerate. It took them only 6 months to darn near kill this one. The other ten in the row are flourishing.

Tthanks for any advice.

Comments (9)