SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

When Dogs Do Their Jobs: Funny Stories, Touching Stories

sylviatexas1
17 years ago

The Jack Russell thread is a sobering reminder of how things can become difficult when dogs do what they're supposed to do, but there's a lighter side.

I know everybody's bound to have a funny or tourching story about their dogs surprising them by "doing their job".

Here's one:

I once found a purebred black male Chow, brought him home, got him healthy...& he did his very best to kill my ancient Collie.

I tried everything.

When he grabbed Andy by the scruff of the neck & I couldn't get him loose, even by picking *him* up by the scruff (both dogs came up, it was horrifying), a neighbor heard the snarling/barking/growling & screaming, came over, & punched the Chow in the jaw, releasing his hold on Andy.

I knew I had to have the Chow put down.

I was so overwrought that I couldn't sit still at home, so I called a friend to grab a burger & talk it out.

Weirdest thing, he knew a woman whose 15-year-old Chow had just died.

The woman was raising her 2 granddaughters, seems like they were 7 & 5, in a not-the-nicest neighborhood.

When I took the dog over there, the little girls ran out &

threw their arms around his neck & kissed him.

My heart nearly stopped!

The dog accepted their adulation with what seemed like royal grace.

Their whole yard was fenced, front & back.

That dog walked away from the little girls, walked the entire perimeter, marked a few places, & returned to the porch, where he lay down between the girls.

Their grandmother said, "We'll take him".

I made sure she had my phone number, begged her to be careful, & went home.

She never called me to come pick up the maniac dog.

Several weeks later, I saw my friend & asked about the Chow.

He said, "They love that dog. I mean, sylvia: they looove that dog. They fight over which one that dog's gonna sleep with."

Comments (10)