SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

Is replacing a tub always opening a can of worms?

pippiep
7 years ago

We want to update our 1978 master bathroom, and have already done some work to make it look MUCH better than before (you can search my older posts about that). I actually really like the color of the wall tile now that it no longer looks pink!

However, the tub, toilet, and vanity are all that same color, and it is too much. I'm considering replacing the toilet and vanity only, and the glass doors for the tub. We have a lot more of the floor and wall tile, so we can patch if needed.

Ideally, we want to replace the tub with a shower. BUT we just spent an exorbitant amount of money on our kitchen reno, and have no desire to spend even 20K on a bathroom, much less the more realistic 30-40K it would take to gut and redo.

If we replace the tub with another tub... is that opening a can of worms?? We don't have any leaks now, and we had all the bathroom pipes and tub drain replaced when our kitchen ceiling was open.

Would it be an even bigger can of worms if we replaced the tub with a Kohler shower pan? Both of these scenarios are assuming we would not remove/redo the wall/tile above the tub.

We'd like to add another sink to the 83" vanity and found out we'll need a larger drain pipe. Can they do that through the bathroom floor, or would we need to open the kitchen ceiling again?

Comments (10)