SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fig_insanity

My teas and chinas BURSTING with new growth- uh oh

OK, so here I am where many teas and chinas are already just borderline hardy. But I generally don't see much winter dieback; except in extra cold winters (re: Polar Vortex), most dieback is due to our wildly fluctuating SPRING temps, sometimes going from 80F down to 20F in 36 hours. In any case, the really tender ones have been culled by Mother Nature.

However, this year Oct has been much, much, much warmer than usual, after an abysmally hot summer (most consecutive days over 90, ever). Normally we've had frost by now, and days running in the 50's to low 60's, nightly lows in the 30's-40's, and even my teas tend to take the hint (it did drop to 40F here last Saturday night). I also usually taper off watering to help force semi-dormancy. BUT....days are still running in the 70's-80's. No sign of frost in the forecast. Almost ALL my teas and chinas have started a growth spurt worthy of mid-Spring; I'm going to get a SECOND Autumn flush if the weather holds for two more weeks. Buds everywhere. My "last rose of summer" won't be just Old Blush, and it may come closer to Christmas than to Summer, lol.

I've never had this much new growth this late. I always expect to lose cane tips. Some years I lose whole canes. Winter burn is the price to pay for zone pushing. Once in a while I lose a younger plant.

I try not to borrow trouble, but I'm bracing for major losses.

Ugh...I can feel it coming like the breeze before the ax falls, lol.

Comments (21)