SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Creating beds, working with retaining walls and slopes!

I'm a first-time homeowner/gardener in need of advice! I would like to put in some raised beds (or other gardening solution) to plant vegetables, herbs, etc., and I'm just not sure where to start. We just purchased a house built into a hill, and we inherited something of a mess in the backyard. The majority of the backyard is a steep slope, but in the middle of that slope there is a small terraced area (not sure if this is natural or if someone planned to formally terrace it and lost interest). It's hard to see from the photo, but the area on the right side of this photo on either side of that wood post is flat - probably about 6' wide? Unfortunately, it's currently impossible to access because there is a large bush planted next to the staircase which would allow access.

Anyway, at the top of the slope there is a flat area about 7' wide, with a hedgerow built on top of a cement retaining wall on one side and some raised beds on the other (you can see the opposite side of the hedgerow in the previous photo):

The existing raised beds are obviously the first place to start, and I have already begun clearing some of them of weeds and such for a garlic planting this fall. However, I would like more space than those beds allow. The flat area between the hedgerow and existing beds seems like a perfect area for further raised beds, but I'm not sure how to do it. I have no attachment to the hedges and would be happy to pull them out. The existing cement wall extends about 1.5 feet up from the sloped area below (which is probably not too steep to stand/walk on, if I wanted to access the beds from that side). However, since I will need a walkway to access the existing beds, it seems reasonable to build another set of beds where the hedges are and use the same walkway to access both sets.

So, I guess my questions are:

1. How wide does the walkway need to be/how deep can the new beds be?

2. How high should the new beds be? (I am 6' tall. The current beds are 3' deep and range in height from 3' to 4' - I can reach the back of the 4' beds but it's definitely a stretch). Presumably the wider they are, the shorter they should be?

3. Concerns about sunlight - the house faces west. There are a lot of large trees behind these beds that block the early morning sun, but they should receive full sun from mid-morning through mid-afternoon or early evening (at which point the house casts a shadow). Is this enough sun for vegetables, chiles, etc?

4. Is that flat area around the wood post worth trying to access for another bed? That area will get perhaps an hour less sun than the beds at the top of the slope due to the shadow cast by the house.

5. Any other brilliant suggestions for creating more usable planting space?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert