Do they make stand alone word processors anymore?

weedwoman

My father is fussing at me to get him a laptop. He had a desktrop in the apartment in independent living and used it quite a bit, for word processing and playing games and email, mostly. He and my stepmother recently moved into the nursing home wing where there isn't really room for a computer, and he's gone downhill mentally enough that he can't really deal with it anymore anyway (he hits the wrong key in the word processor, the thing stops and waits for him to tell it what to do, he doesn't realize it and everything stops...) Anyway, what he really wants if for is to write for the memoir class he and my stepmother are taking and it occurred to me that what he really needs is a typewriter that can save a document and print it out. A stand-alone word processor, in other words. I know they used to make such things, does anybody know if they still do?

People say just make a bare bones setup on a cheap laptop but there's still too much that can go wrong, I tried that with his last computer, and I live to far away to run over and help whenever he runs into a problem. I did a quick google search and didn't see what I was looking for; does anybody know if there is such a product available?

Thanks

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdln

have you considered a chromebook?

Save    
sushipup1

Go to the nursing home and talk directly to whoever gives the class or to the social worker. There is no sense reinventing the wheel if others already have found a solution. If that doesn't give you a good alternative, then look for something else.

Save    
maifleur01

It may be that the keyboard is too small for his hands. Being used to a larger one I had problems with what was average? sized when I replaced my pc with a laptop. It could also be that he is slipping and will soon be unable to use the computer. You might want to try some of the audio to text programs that are available. There are also the reverse. If you have a blind organization in your area you might want to check with them to see what is available.

Save    
weedwoman

Unfortunately, he's already slipped to the point where the computer is too much for him, that's why I'm looking for alternatives. I don't think he'd have a problem typing but all the other stuff that comes up with a computer is too much now. So a Chromebook wouldn't help.

The place they live hasn't got their act together computer-wise (although they do have good wi-fi now, which is handy for me.) The generation that really insists on computers hasn't quite hit the nursing home yet; I expect it will be different in another 10 years.

I don't think he's going to like the laptop keyboard much; I don't like it that much myself. Audio to text is actually an interesting idea; I've never had any experience with that. Worth looking into.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Save    
4thumbs

My advice would be to record his stories and have a family member type them up. There are so many things I wish I had asked my mother when she was alive. It sounds like your father is slipping but I'm sure if you sent along a ton of questions he would have no problem talking about his experiences. I'm sure the nursing home personnel could assist. Just get a simple tape recorder. The digital ones are too complicated. And do it soon. I worked with the senior population for 25 years and have been there, done that, myself.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housekeeping Three More Magic Words to Help the Housekeeping Get Done
As a follow-up to "How about now?" these three words can help you check more chores off your list
Full Story
Contractor Tips The 4 Potentially Most Expensive Words in Remodeling
‘While you’re at it’ often results in change orders that quickly add up
Full Story
Decorating Guides Spell It Out: Words of Inspiration for Your House
A favorite quote can enhance a room the way an inspiring idea engages your mind. Here’s how to add word power to your interiors
Full Story
Every project is a personal work of art, utilizing nature’s palette of perennials, shrubs and trees, creating a... Read More