SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cssnms

Is it okay to mow a new lawn with a riding mower for the first time?

C&N
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Located in MD, core aerated, power seeded w/tall fescue and applied starter fertilizer approx 4 weeks ago. Before doing this and in preparation the lawn or what was left of it was cut back and pretty much died and treated for weeds.

So it's been approx. 4 weeks since seeding and the seeds germinated very quickly and the lawn has grown extremely fast and has become thick. Conditions have just been optimal over this period with temps during the day in the 70's and 50's and 60's at night.

Anyway, based on grass length I am quickly coming up on the grass needing it's first mowing. I purchased a manual push mower last year but it is all but useless on my lawn, the ground is too irregular, to many small twigs always jamming it up etc making it all but impossible to use. My other mower is a Craftsman riding lawn mower.

Our soil tends to run a little damp all of the time. My concern with the riding mower at this stage is that it may cause compaction while the new grass is trying to establish deep roots. Alternatively I may just hire someone that has a gasoline powered push mower for the first and maybe even for the 2nd cut?

What says the lawn experts?

Thank you

Comments (2)