SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Sunburned 'Cl. Maman Cochet'?

I have two 'Cl. Maman Cochet's that I grew from cuttings about six years ago. They grow, awkwardly enough, on a rickety pergola down in the newest part of the big garden, in fullest sun, southwestern exposure, no growth or shade above their knees in any direction.

Nothwithstanding the gray clay in which they're planted, clay that will support little more than weeds, and the annual summer drought they live through unwatered, these two distinguished ladies have always grown with good will and good humor. This fall they look pretty awful, though. About 80% of their growth is a sickly yellow-green. This is caused in part by normal aging, but in much greater measure by damage to the canes by cane girdler. I'm cutting away the yellowish growth and leaving the few strong canes that are a healthy green.

Well, my question is, why so much damage? I particularly want Kim's take on this, as I recall him mentioning sunburn and resultant cane damage, and I think that's perhaps what's going on here. Cane girdler (I think it is) is endemic in my garden; roses just have to co-exist with it. In my experience Teas can live with cane girdler: it damages them, certainly, but not to the point that they can't live and grow. This degree of damage is new to me. My thoughts are, that the roses have no protection from sun whatever (also none from wind); the sun is perhaps getting unfriendlier; and the resulting sunburn is making the roses particularly susceptible to cane girdler. Folks, your thoughts?

The only solution I can think of is some kind of quick climber to share the trellis, with annuals particularly recommended (suggestions are welcome). It's going to be a decade or two before there's any significant amount of woody plant shade in this difficult area.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville