SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_34233753

need to fill big gap in privacy screen

User
7 years ago

After cutting down 2 tall diseased photinias, I have a huge gap in my privacy screen. There is a Japanese Cleyera (that never got as tall as the tag said), then the huge gap, then several tea olives. (Photo tomorrow).

I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to put in more tea olives but I liked the openness of the photinias - they were not a dense hedge. When the kids were little, they climbed in them. My neighbor and I could see each other enough to converse through them but there was still a sense of privacy.

I've thought about a Prague Viburnum. I believe it's the only reliably evergreen viburnum in our area. Just can't decide how the leaves would look with the other shrubs. Also not sure if it could take the full blazing hot sun. I've lost some viburnums that were in full sun. That might be a problem if I go for more tea olives, too. (The existing ones may be at risk also as they were somewhat shaded by the photinias.)

Whatever I use needs to be at least 7 ft. high and could go as high as 10 (tho I'll regret that later). My neighbor's hardwood tree (don't know what kind) was growing through and over the photinias so that will be a limiting factor for height.

Would love to hear your ideas.

Comments (19)