SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendravicknair

Need help filling in privacy screen

kendravicknair
5 years ago
Hello. I am in zone 7, north Georgia, US. We have an east-facing slope behind our house that we have been working on planting a little at a time for about 3 years. Our goal is to create more privacy between us and the neighbors but without it looking like a typical screen. We are now ready to invest the money to get it finished, but I need some advice on the best plants to use. This photo is a panorama, so it is slightly distorted.

There are 3 cryptomeria yoshino in the back, with a deodar cedar on the back right. They are 15-20 feet apart. The center tree is a freeman maple. To the left of it is a Carolina sapphire cypress and then a river birch. To the very right front of the photo there is a paperbark maple. The freeman maple is about 25 feet from the paperbark and a little more than that from the river birch.

I would like to fill in the big holes on either side of the freeman maple with something relatively fast growing and evergreen. I am considering a thuja green giant, but I’m afraid it will get too big. I also thought about Nellie Stevens holly . But I am open to all suggestions. In the space on the right it would be ok if it grew over the edge of the wall. Obviously in the space on the left we don’t want it to grow over the fire pit.

Thank in advance. I’m looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Comments (9)