SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdeftekar

Two weeks since germination. Now what??

CEZ
7 years ago

I seeded on the 25th and got germination by the 30th. Its been two weeks and the grass that established looks pretty good and thick. A few questions:

1) The week I seeded we got very heavy rains which washed out some seed. Last Saturday Hurricane Matthew dumped a tremendous amount of water, creating rivers over the germinated grass. Some of the seedlings are still lying down where the water flow was heaviest.

What can I do to fill in the bare areas and the bent over grass? Can I lightly rake the bent grass to help get the tips back into the air or are they goners? Soil temps here (centeral NC) are in the mid-60s. First overnight frosts will be anywhere from end of Oct to mid-Nov.

I also have an area at the bottom of a small hill that stays very damp and doesnt seem to want to establish any grass at all (when I moved in there was grass there, but Ive been unable to establish a new turf in this area). Any suggestions?

2) I used tenacity at the time of seeding (0.75tsp per 1000 / 6oz per acre rate) At what point should I follow up with another round of preEm? And should I go with another shot of Tenacity or something longer lasting like prodiamine?

3) What should my fertilizer schedule be for the remainder of the year?

4) At what point should I mow?

5) And what is this among my seedlings?

Poa Annua? (this is one of the thin areas)

Thanks!

Comments (8)