SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johniferous

Best native conifer 15 feet from end of septic?

I want to plant a native, single leader conifer 15 feet from the end of my drain field. The drain field is only 10 years old, with great drainage through crystalline bedrock. Obviously I still want to avoid root intrusion, but drainage is excellent and the end of the field is always bone dry (in the good way, not broken). Not worried about a small to mid size conifer 15 feet away.

That being said - there is a rock wall and a little spot just beyond it where I'd like to plant a vertical growing single leader native conifer.

I should keep this thing under 40 feet. For that reason, I'm considering Canaan Fir as they grow slow and seem to be the smaller of the native forest evergreens. But I don't know much about fir roots.

Any suggestions here, without any septic field lectures (I already did my homework), would be greatly appreciated.

Spot is full sun with some shade, zone 6B, and its kind of a dry spot and I will not be amending the soil. Native northern NJ soil in an oak-maple forest, acidic and rocky.

Comments (29)